My Lawnmower Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello everyone,
I'm in the process of doing up a murray lawn mower, I have the engine finally working only to find out that the transmission doesn't work. its an automatic hydrostatic transmission. to be honest i have no idea how it works but I'm pretty sure it means it uses oil.... is there anywhere on the transmission that I can check the oil level and top it up?
to make it clear, the pulley at the bottom of it is rotating but when I put my foot on the forward/reverse pedal noting happens.
please help,
all advice appreciated,
irishlad.

·
Administrator
6,224 Posts
Somewhere there would be a freewheeling / bypass lever or knob on it. You might want to check that. If you can push it around without the rear wheels locking that would be the first place I would look.

Whats the Murray model number?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i finally got around to taking the transmission off and by the time i got it off it was too cold outside to diagnose it. the model number is 40903x20a and the date of manufacture is 0744

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just came across this post. The x20A is a suffix I have never seen before on a Murray. Are you in the U.S.?

As mentioned, under the seat there is a lever to disengage the transmission so the tractor can be pushed. Try it in both positions.

Also check for correct motion belt routing, freely operating pulleys etc. Check and recheck all linkages.

For further help I can be found at the sister site mytractorforum.com. I seldom log on here.

BBY

1 - 5 of 5 Posts