My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an Ariens 936042, 42" 20hp mower. The Tuff Torq K46 tranny stopped working last week. This is an older lawn tractor, but I don't have the $$$ to buy a new one. I have read lots of posts on several forums, most being quite critical of the transaxle. I have been mulling over purchasing a rebuild kit, but I would like to know if anyone here could advise if there's any other transaxle that can be swapped in for the Tuff Torq K46.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

·
Administrator
6,244 Posts
I always thought these kits was a neat way to go if you were going to keep the tractor and wanted a heavier duty transmission. But not cheap and they haven't been available for my Deere LT 150 for some time now.

Over on mytractorforum.com search the John Deere section as there is some talk there about the K46 upgrade. Thing is there are numerous versions of the K46 and some seem to have lasted better then others. I have over 500 hrs on mine and it still pulls like it did new. Only thing I have done to it is replace the input shaft and pulley this past summer after the spines wore off on the input shaft and the pulley just spun on the shaft. On it's second drive belt too. For better or worse still running the original oil. Pinched for time and miserable hot weather to push mow I just topped it off with a few ounces of fresh oil while I had it off to replace the input shaft. Oil still looked to be decent quality, surprising given the age. Not black or tuned to gum. I must be living right somehow. ;) I think heat is their biggest enemy and I have always blowed out the cooling fins after every mow to keep max airflow on it from the fan. Haven't done much pulling or any heavy pushing of snow to heat it up either. Lawn does have some hills to climb though.

·
Administrator
6,244 Posts
Thanks!
No, didn't know there were others doing the kits. Looks like though this one is shying away from Deere saying it may or may not work. by this article I found:

As I recall the rear wheels have to be replaced on mine since the axle is bigger and it doesn't use bolt on rims with welded hubs. It instead has the wheels held on by a C clip and uses a key to lock it to the axle. I'll bookmark them though for future reference. While mine is working again now and quieter with the input pulley no longer wobling around I'm just going to keep running it until it dies. I was looking at the rebuild kits and if successful saves some money for sure. But I don't know if I have that much patience to gut out one of them down that far. Kind of depends how full my piggy bank is when it quits moving the next time and has major problems. lol

·
Registered
193 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts