My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need a little help please.
I have a Hustler mower with a Honda GXV670 engine. When key is engaged to start, sometimes starter will work as supposed to and other times it just clicks. This is a new starter as original did the same thing and thought it needed replaced. Have tried a different battery, checked valve lash, and have cleaned all battery contacts including where ground connects to frame. Could really use some new ideas as where to look.

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Does it have a solenoid between the battery and starter or starter mounted solenoid? I would check there first for power on key command to crank engine. Also check all grounds in circuit.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for reply
Starter solenoid. The ground from battery is about 4 inches to body of mower. I took that ground loose and scrubbed with wire brush.

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Check with test light on small wires to solenoid to see if power present when key is twisted to start.

Reactions: bwdbrn1

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update:
Checked energizer wire to solenoid and it responded every time key was engaged. Cleaned the posts and rotated the three relays in case the start relay was bad. Still getting same results. Acts almost like there's a dead spot on the starter, but don't see how two starters would give same symptom.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
After looking around on some other forums, finding out this is not an uncommon issue with this mower and Honda engine. Have read at least three, however, nobody posts what they finally determined was causing problem.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Have figured out what is going on, but not sure how to fix it. Removed top cover of engine so I could watch starter when it's engaged, and the starter gear will come up to meet flywheel teeth but does not line up and stops when it hits bottom of flywheel. That is where click (clunk) is coming from. If I continue to bump starter, the starter gear will back up just enough to finally engage flywheel and engine starts. Engine may start 4 or 5 times, then teeth don't line up again and have to bump. I backed starter bolts out a bit and it improves. Do these starters ever need shimmed? And them I'm wondering why it just started this season with original starter and the one that's new.

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
I hope for others that follow this now or later you do post your findings when you get the kinks worked out...

Sometimes we forget to post what caused the problem and how we fixed it... We're only human :sorry:

Thanks for letting us know your findings thus far and hopefully you can get it figured out. :2th:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ran a voltage check this morning. Following are using mower frame for ground
Battery 12.3
Lead from battery to starter 12.3
Lead from key to solenoid to activate 12.3
Lead from starter side of solenoid is 10 when solenoid engaged and starter spinning

I get same readings on both starters. Original and one just purchased.

·
Registered
3 Posts
You have the notorious starter issue known on those models. They also have the exact same issue on some John Deere and other brands as well. It is a decrease in voltage from the relay to the starter.

Hustler makes a fix for the issue, part #107910. The kit is about $45 - $50. I have not been able to determine if they include a schematic in with the kit when you buy it.

There is also a homemade fix you can do for it by installing another relay on the mower, which I think is essentially what the hustler kit is. I have had a little trouble tracking down a part number for the exact relay but it is a 4 wire, 30 amp relay you can get at auto parts store.

You will need a schematic to know how to hook it up. I went through numerous starters and relay replacements over the years before I finally got wind of this fix for the issue. I have had trouble however, tracking down some of the info I need to put it on my two fastrack mowers with the GXV620 engine.
I did find this morning a schematic that may work. Hope it is ok to repost it for those in need

1 - 13 of 13 Posts