My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think that's the right model info.

This is a rider mower that is 2 yr old. It stopped in the middle of mowing the other day and won't turn over. It tries to but doesn't. I lightly sprayed some choke starter or cleaner where I took the air filter off. That's the extent of my knowledge, if you want to call it that.

I looked up on-line what to do next and found that I should remove the bowl of the carburetor and clean it out. It showed where there is a nut at the bottom of the bowl. Well, I was all set...mine doesn't look like that:dunno: It has something at the bottom of it that has a wire going into it. It is smaller than the bowl but definitely not a nut. I'm not sure how to remove this so I can get to the carb and I can't find it on-line. I have a picture of it but I don't know how to get it on here. Does anyone know what I am talking about? :help:

Happy New Year to everyone!

horsnaround

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Sir, I don't suggest you mess with the carb if you do not know what is going on there! Lets start from the top first!! :)
Ok it stopped and won't turn over, what is your term for "turn over" Do you mean it WILL NOT CRANK or IT WILL NOT START??
If it will not start, what is the fuel like in tank? Could you have water in it? How much choke cleaner did you spray? It actually sounds like you may have a spark issue!
You should check for spark, bet your magneto is bad if you got no pop with choke cleaner!
The magneto can quit like this and stop in mid mow from heat caused failure. You need a spark plug spark checker. Inline is best, you put it between the plug and the wire and can see the spark in tester if it is working.

·
Premium Member
6,109 Posts
In the interest of correctness, should be call you ma'am, sir, or just horsnaround? If you'd care to share your first name, that would be great. A lot of us here know each other by our first names, but if you don't want to, that's O.K. too. I'm Bruce, and you'll hear a lot from Mark, Austen, and Eric, just to name a few.

At any rate, yep, let's start with one thing at a time, and move to the next as we eliminate issues and/or answer questions.

First, what did it do after it stopped and you turned the key to get it to start again?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi, I'm Rita!

Thank you so much for your replies! I will leave the carb alone and get an in-line spark plug tester. The video was very tutorial and I appreciate your detail for me. I need it:help:

What is a magneto? You mentioned the spark plug tester then the magneto. I will try to find it on you tube so I don't pester you guys too much.

I'm not sure what the difference is between start and crank. It makes the noise it usually makes just bf it tries to start but doesn't actually turn over. Just keeps trying but can't make it. Now I have to recharge battery as it is getting weak. I know how to do that (take it to O'Reillys:ROFL) (not kidding).

Rita

·
Premium Member
6,109 Posts
Hey, we're here to be pestered Rita.:2th: I think the best way to describe "turning over" is, as you put it, that noise it makes before it actually starts to run. Some might also call it "cranking over". When it "fires", or "tries to start", is that sound it makes when it is about to run, but just does't quite get there and goes back to "turning over". Or at least that's the way I describe it.

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Sorry Rita! Force of habit saying sir. The magneto is the device that fires the spark plug. It works by magnetic force. It is under the engine cover. Hope this helps.

Reactions: Austen

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Rita, I would definitely look at the magneto or safety switch as your issue! Sure sounds like no spark! :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts