My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about adding the bumper to the front of my new Husqvarna YTH21K46. I plan on using this machine 10-15 years, and want to keep the front end and hood intact.

What do y'all think? There are two bumpers available, and I was wondering about experience users have had with each.

The big one is $75.55 and the small one is $42.25.

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
I have the second one on a Husqvarna and it did a good job keeping the front end protected. If you have just trees and regular obstacles in the yard that you want to keep from accidentally bumping into it should be fine. If you have a wide variety of objects such as bushes and branches that hang low and have the chance of hitting higher than the standard brush guard then go with the first one.
Aesthetically speaking, I think the first one is much cooler. ;)

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
I got the dual tube one on my Craftsman, I have plowed it into all kinds of things :bag:, bent the brackets, bent them back and added thick plate steel to them

I want to add a front bumper to my Snapper YT12, and a bumper/hitch on the YT16, so much easier to push a trailer into a tight spot, plus it would stop the wheelies when moving the car hauler around

Reactions: chobbs1957

·
Registered
114 Posts
I don't have any experience with Husky but I have a bumper on my Cub and I am already glad its there. Hit the gate pretty good, I would be looking for a new hood if it were not for the bumper.

I would go with the big one, the more protection the better.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Funny you should ask. I bought the double tube from power equipment direct. Had it about a year now it does what it's supposed to. Only problem is that I have trouble getting it jacked up on the mojack. It doesn't want to go all the way up. Also to save space I park the mower on the mojack. Hood won't open all the way without bumping the Jack. No Jack no problem. Now bumper ain't cheap. They could've made them rubber end caps where they would stay put. Mine came off the other day while mowin. Yep one side fell off I mowed it. Oops. I hear you guys out there saying "just go git another one and move on! ". I'd do just that if I could. I tried tech support at p.e.d. it seems they don't have that part. And if they can't make a buck, your on your own. So much for customer appreciation. They could've at least put me in touch with their supplier. Nope. I wrote a review warning people about the need to permanently attach the ends. No dice, it seems they only allow good reviews. Bottom line? I'd recommend. However screw em down. And don't buy from p.e.d.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have received my grill guard but haven't mounted it yet. My Husq is at our other home, and will be heading down there for the 4th. I look forward to getting it one there!

I will seriously consider your advice about screwing down the rubber end caps. What do you think about gluing them?

I don't have a Mow jack, but do commonly use a floor jack and jack stands, so that may be less of a challenge. I'll see.

Thanks for the input! :cool

Funny you should ask. I bought the double tube from power equipment direct. Had it about a year now it does what it's supposed to. Only problem is that I have trouble getting it jacked up on the mojack. It doesn't want to go all the way up. Also to save space I park the mower on the mojack. Hood won't open all the way without bumping the Jack. No Jack no problem. Now bumper ain't cheap. They could've made them rubber end caps where they would stay put. Mine came off the other day while mowin. Yep one side fell off I mowed it. Oops. I hear you guys out there saying "just go git another one and move on! ". I'd do just that if I could. I tried tech support at p.e.d. it seems they don't have that part. And if they can't make a buck, your on your own. So much for customer appreciation. They could've at least put me in touch with their supplier. Nope. I wrote a review warning people about the need to permanently attach the ends. No dice, it seems they only allow good reviews. Bottom line? I'd recommend. However screw em down. And don't buy from p.e.d.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have the second one on a Husqvarna and it did a good job keeping the front end protected. If you have just trees and regular obstacles in the yard that you want to keep from accidentally bumping into it should be fine. If you have a wide variety of objects such as bushes and branches that hang low and have the chance of hitting higher than the standard brush guard then go with the first one.
Aesthetically speaking, I think the first one is much cooler. ;)
Five Points, I didn't know you had a Husqvarna, what model do you have?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My grill guard

:pics: Lets see it mounted, the bumper I mean. :sidelaugh[/QUOTE

They offer a bumper or a grill guard. I went grill guard route, got it on yesterday afternoon late and mowed past dark.

Here is a pic as I prepared to blow it off and then wash out the deck.

It was easy to put on. I highly recommend it .

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
Five Points, I didn't know you had a Husqvarna, what model do you have?
YTH1342XP, the Kawasaki engine is in 137 pieces right now :ROFL
I'm replacing the Flywheel side case bushing that Kawasaki says you can't replace.. :dunno:

·
Administrator
7,693 Posts
That's good to know! The new generation Honda v-twins are built the same way, and I don't think you can get a replacement bearing for them. I don't understand why anyone would design a high-end commercial engine that does not have replaceable main bearings.:dunno: The new Hondas have steel rods with replaceable inserts and yet they didn't use replaceable bearings? It doesn't make sense!:sidelaugh

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Got it this time!

I was trying to post from my IPhone this morning.:sorry: Here is another try from my laptop. :pics:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts