My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need HELP. I have a Husqvarna 21 HP Kohler 46" lawn tractor. It will NOT start. Battery is fully charged, spark plug is good, oil is fine, air filter is fine and the solenoid is fine. I have one more thing to check (fuel filter) but I don't have a good feeling. Any idea what the problem is or might be? The engine doesn't even sound like it wants to turn over. It's only 1 1/2 yrs old. This is ridiculous. :dunno:

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
:welcome: Welcome aboard Chawni, glad you joined in. :cool

If it's barely turning over, I would verify the battery first. A battery could show 12 volts but still have no strength under load. Also check the the connections on the battery and the ground and at the starter, a little corrosion could cause a slow or no start situation. How long has it been since you run it last?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The battery is perfect. I even put a charger on it to make sure it was fully charged. No corrosion on the terminal connections. What I meant was that it was spinning but not turning over.
I started it a few weeks ago WITH difficulty.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I am not understanding what you mean. Spinning and turning over are the same thing. Do you mean it turns over but doesn't start because that is something completely different or do you mean the starter spins but the engine doesn't turn over. If this is what is happening you have either a bad or dirty starter bendix drive. If it is only 1 1/2 years old I would be complaining to the dealer not here. Roger

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
Did you see if you are getting spark? Also there is a solenoid on the bottom of the carb bowl, listen for a clicking sound when you turn the ignition off and on, if not it may be stuck not letting fuel to get to the carb. If those check out its probably fuel related

I gotta ask...does it have fresh fuel in it?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I apologize for not making myself clear. It doesnt matter. With the help of a friend, we were able to get it started. New fuel filter and drained old gas and put new in along with some seafoam. I have already had it into the shop once before for not starting and the guy kept it for a month and then blamed me for not maintaining properly which was UNTRUE. And for the record, I wasnt "complaining" here, I was asking for help and advice to prevent having to give it up for another month.

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
No need to apologize Chawni, I didn't think you were complaining, just looking for help. Back to what I posted earlier,
Did you see if you are getting spark? Also there is a solenoid on the bottom of the carb bowl, listen for a clicking sound when you turn the ignition off and on, if not it may be stuck not letting fuel to get to the carb. If those check out its probably fuel related
Did you say you got it running though with help from a friend or was that prior to this issue?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No need to apologize Chawni, I didn't think you were complaining, just looking for help. Back to what I posted earlier,

Did you say you got it running though with help from a friend or was that prior to this issue?
Yes sir. It is running now. I appreciate the effort to help me. A new fuel filter, fresh gas and some starter spray my friend had that he sprayed into the carb got it started. The first things we checked were the battery and spark plug. All were working as they should. Again, your response is very much appreciated.

·
Founding Administrator
1,265 Posts
Good morning, Chawni. Glad to see you got your machine up and running. Just curious, now that it does run, is starter fluid needed every time you want to start the machine? If so, something is still not quite right. My guess would be the choke may not be operating properly, but that is just a guess. You also mentioned putting a bit of SeaFoam in the tank after draining. We have members that put an ounce or 2 of seafoam per gallon of gas in their containers every time they go to the station. It's some good stuff for keeping a fuel system in top shape.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good morning, Chawni. Glad to see you got your machine up and running. Just curious, now that it does run, is starter fluid needed every time you want to start the machine? If so, something is still not quite right. My guess would be the choke may not be operating properly, but that is just a guess. You also mentioned putting a bit of SeaFoam in the tank after draining. We have members that put an ounce or 2 of seafoam per gallon of gas in their containers every time they go to the station. It's some good stuff for keeping a fuel system in top shape.
Good news. I went out today and it started right up. Thank you for your advice. Adding Seafoam to the gas in my gas can is an excellent idea and I will start by adding it tomorrow. You have no idea how happy I am in getting it started. I hope that by posting my issue here I can possibly help someone else experiencing the same problem. Many thanks again for your ideas and advice.I cant not tell you how much it is appreciated!

·
Premium Member
7,359 Posts
Hey Chawni,

I'm happy to hear it had a happy ending!

Hope you stick around! :)

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
Seafoam has helped me a bit as well. Saved a rebuild on a carb one time and helped out the profit margin. Glad everything is going well now and thank you for the update. Its often folks will come here looking for a solution to a problem and find it from posts like this but sometimes we don't hear about it. :dunno:Thanks for the update!

·
Registered
2 Posts
For what it's worth. I have found that in my seasonal equipment, that fuel stabilizer is the way to go. Also to add a fuel shutoff to the gas line before the carburetor. Always letting the mower run out of fuel before sitting up for awhile. Seems to help startup at the next use. If the fuel does get old, it's easier to deal with. But so far, the stabilizer has always done the trick.

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
:welcome: Hello Kenneth and welcome to the forum. Yes I agree stabilizer is a great way to prep your equipment for storage. Seafoam is a great product in regards to cleaning up some of the gunky stuff left behind when things do dry up. It also helps clean up needle and seats and jets and other passages that collect debris.

Do you have some equipment that you tinker on? If you have some or work on equipment or just plain Ole mess around with stuff we'd like to hear about it. You can do an Intro Post here : New Member Introduction - Lawn Mower Forums : Lawnmower Reviews, Repair, Pricing and Discussion Forum
and tell us a little about yourself and meet the "guys". We're a bunch of gear heads that love to tinker on stuff! Nice to meet you. :ThumbUp:

·
Registered
9 Posts
I may have put my post in the wrong place. I will try again, please forgive an old man not real smart with computers. I have a 21 horse Kohler Courage on a Husqvarna. The engine has just 29 hours on it. Have never had any problems with it until today. Will not start. Engine cranks over good but will not hit at all. I have checked for spark at the plug and it has a good spark. I checked the fuel flow past the filter to see if fuel was getting through the filter. Unhooked the fuel line at the card and have good fuel flow. Checked the wiring that I could see and get to and everything seemed fine. I sprayed some WD-40 straight into the card to see if it would at least hit and it didn't make any difference either. It ran fine the last time I mowed, it is like something went wrong just setting for a week. The gas is fresh just put in a couple days ago. Friend told me a fuse might be blown. If a fuse was bad wouldn't that not allow the plug to fire? Anyone got any ideas where else to look or what to check? Thanks for any help anyone can offer.

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
Check the spark plug to see if it is wet with gas. You may have had a piece of trash/gunk get caught in the carb, if so youre not getting gas to the cylinder.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.