My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tractor is losing power when going up hill. Engine is running fine, has to be something with transmission. Any suggestions?

·
Administrator
6,234 Posts
How do I check belt? What do I need to do to tighten it?
First thing would be to check it for cracks or worse missing chunks out of it. Since it sounds like you have a gear drive I would with the engine off put it in gear and let out the clutch. Then take hold of the belt and see how tight it is and if it can be slid on the pulleys any at all. If it looks OK but seems loose there normally is a way to adjust it by changing the tension on the clutch idler pulley.

But not knowing exactly what type of drive setup you have, your mileage may vary. ;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Changed belt now what?

I changed the drive belt, it was all chewed up. Still no better. The shifter arm which adjusts which gear your in seems to be moving too freely. I thought unless the clutch was in there was resistance. It moves freely between 3rd to 7th speed.

·
Administrator
6,234 Posts
By loosing power you mean the travel speed slows, correct? In other words it stays in gear but slows down yet the engine does not appear to be slowing, correct?

Off hand looking at the exploded view I don't see a clutch adjustment. (Edit: Looks like spring #40 is the sole dictator of how much tension is on the drive belt.) But I also had another thought (guess ;) ). Maybe a shear key has sheared either on one of the drive wheel hubs or the transmission drive pulley shaft. One possible way that comes to mind as a preliminary test for this would be to put it in gear with the engine shut off. Then raise one rear tire off the ground and try to turn it. If you can get it to turn without sliding the other tire while in gear that would be a good sign of a broken key. Being a gear drive, not jumping out of gear, yet slowing down speed wise there has to be some slippage in something external to the tranny. Any internal slippage will make one heck of a grinding sound. :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts