My Lawnmower Forum banner

HRX217VYA Roto Stop Issues

23K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  searchlight 
#1 ·
Just picked up a new Honda mower (HRX217VYA) and on the first mow of my lawn the Roto Stop mechanism is driving me insane. It pops all the time (even when sitting still from its own idle).

Is there a way to adjust that? I like the concept of not having to turn the mower off to do basic stuff, but if this continues, I will have no choice but to take it back. For a $700 mower, you expect it to work much better than this.

Everything else with the mower is fantastic.

#2 ·
Been looking at the manual..... Something about this is covered in the manual on page 13 under "Select Drive Cable Adjustment". I've never owned one of these. Hope you find a solution. I'm sure someone on here has got the answer. Here's the manual just in case anyone needs it:

http://cdn.powerequipment.honda.com/pe/pdf/manuals/00X31VH7M010.pdf

#3 ·
Just picked up a new Honda mower (HRX217VYA) and on the first mow of my lawn the Roto Stop mechanism is driving me insane. It pops all the time (even when sitting still from its own idle).
If you got it at Home Depot, the easy/fast solution is to return it and get another. It's unlikely you'll have two in a row with the exact problem.

If you got it at an independent dealer, return it and get them to make a priority repair. Beware, it's a very busy season for lawn mower service, so there may be some wait.

Now, when you say "it pops all the time" do you mean the engine makes a popping sound or what exactly? Does the Roto-Stop "pop" loose and disengage?

Oh, and I live in Johns Creek too @ 30022 :)

#7 · (Edited)
Removing the lever and slightly bending it wider, then reinstall, it would probably be enough to keep the tab fully engaged (and the blade).
Robert,

I'm not the original poster, but I found this thread in a web search. This fix worked great for me. I had just bought a new HRX217VYA mower and was really upset that I couldn't mow my 1/4-acre lot even once - the roto-stop button was releasing every few steps. Your quick 2-minute fix saved the day. If I get a chance, I'll add another post with the user perspective of the fix.

Many, Many Thanks!!!
Carl

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.