My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I picked up a slightly used HRX217HYA a couple of months ago, and have a question about the drive itself. I recently purchased a home th is built into a sloped lot, so there is a grade on either side of the home. One advantage, is that I have a walk out basement with a couple of double hung windows, but the disadvantage of mowing both up, and down a slope. The drive seems to operate normally going uphill, however it seems to coast, it free wheel going downslope, and I‘m struggling to hang on to a 113# machine, with ball bearing wheels. Being hydrostatic, it should keep a constant speed, more or less? Maybe a cable adjustment? Tx.

· Super Moderator
6,213 Posts
Just a guess it is working as it should. That it is designed to power forward. Plus the drive system also acts as the mower’s “differential” when turning allowing the outside wheel turn turn faster and the inside wheel turn slower.
Try this…without starting the engine, engage the drive lever as if you are going to mow. Pull the mower backwards. Then push it forward. If yours are like self propelled Hondas I’ve had, the rear wheels lock when you pull backwards, but free wheel when pushing forward and you will hear a clicking sound. Thus, it pulls uphill and “coasts” down hill.

· Super Moderator
6,213 Posts
Too bad your Honda isn’t the uphill downhill mower you need, but now that you mention that you have a Toro, is it a Personal Pace? I got to thinking about how they work and it occurred to me that if you’re not pushing on the handle to engage the drive the Toro basically goes into neutral too. I use the metal part of my Toro’s handle to push it across my driveway before starting the engine for that reason. Since I don’t have any hills to speak of I can’t say if my Toro would coast downhill like you found your Honda does. Let us know how your Toro works. This “coasting” trait might be something others looking for a mower that fits their needs might like to know.

· Registered
1 Posts
I have a Kubota W821SC with a Honda GXV160 engine. It too is a heavy mower. Would mowing ACROSS your slope instead of up and down ease your problem? That way you can enjoy powered mowing for the whole job but just be careful when making each turn that your mower doesn't run away with you in tow.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts