My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this happened today. Trust me I have plenty of projects in the garage right now, but I was on Craigslist and saw it for free. I asked the guy if he would hold it for me. It was an hour away. He said he’d hold it for $20. Figured that was fair. Ive never seen one of these in person, but at first glance everything seems to be there except for the bag and a few bolts I can match at the hardware store. Didn’t realize the gas tank was empty. Gave it a couple pulls just to see what would happen. Pulls a little firm I would say. It sure what that means yet.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Went out in the garage to start messing with this project and I noticed 2 things. When I put gas in it and turned gas valve in, it leaks. Not sure if that just means carb needs a cleaning or if things need replaced. And the blade engage cable seems frozen. The arm that pushes the kill switch on the magneto doesn‘t make contact. I was able to use a pry bar and make it push that button in but it isn’t free for sure. And the cable connecting that to the handle bar has come out of its built in fitting. But I can’t put it back correct because the cable is frozen. How do I unfreeze it or do I need a new cable?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I’ve got problems and the parts I need are virtually impossible to get. Somehow the spark plug got stuck in the cap, which broke into a ton of pieces trying to get it out. There is a little brown plastic part in the carb where the clear red hose fits on. The brown fitting broke on me. And I can’t get the control cable unfrozen. So I need a blade control cable, a carburetor and a spark plug cap at best.

Really wanted to work on this machine and get it going, but at this point I’d be open to offers if someone wanted to come get it that may have the parts I need and wants it more than me.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Had a pretty good morning in the garage today. I found out the spark plug boot I broke is easily replaced so I did that. Replaced a seized control cable. Replaced the carburetor, I broke a piece trying to get it apart to clean it. Finger tightened it all back together. Couldn’t resist giving it a few pulls and I about crapped my pants when it started! Then I proceeded to mow half my front yard with it. Not bad for something from the mid 80’s that who knows when it has run last. Now gotta come up with sizes for some missing bolts and go to part store but I like this old mower!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts