My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all I have been thru several "cheap" lawn mowers over the years and in their defense I didn't do a good job maintaining them. I needed a new one so I decided to spend the money and get a good one with every intention of maintaining it properly so it might last a good while. So I bought the Honda from the big box store which I now know wasn't the best choice. I put it togeather added the oil, got fresh fuel and added fuel stabilizer. I filled the mower and it started on the first pull, self propel and blade clutch worked perfectly. I shut her down and put it in the garage. I came out to the garage a few hours later and was greeted to extremely intense gas fumes and a large fuel spill on the garage floor. Gas was running down over the carburetor bowel. I immediately took it back to the big box and they were great about it and insisted on exchanging it. So now I have a new one still in the box in my garage, I am hesitant to put this one togeather fearing the same problem. Is there a history of this problem with this model? Should I just return it and get a different brand? I was considering the Husqvarna before I decided to go with the Honda. I also already registered the first mower with Honda to receive the free extended warranty, if I keep the second mower do I just register it for the free extended warranty? I wonder if there is a limit of one per household?

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
If I had to guess, I would say there was some debris in the bowl causing the float to stick, or even a loose fuel line?? I would stay with the Honda as they have a great reputation. This was probably a fluke...
Re-register, as you would have a new serial number.

·
Premium Member
1,026 Posts
you probably just got the float stuck. no manufacturer is perfect, try another and you probably wont have that issue

·
Premium Member
6,110 Posts
Well, stuff like that does happen, and I can imagine you weren't too happy when you went out to the garage.

Honda does have a fantastic reputation, and there's no doubt they'll stand behind their product.

·
Administrator
7,693 Posts
:ditto: You get a lemon with every brand! I'd go ahead and open up the new one. Fuel leaks are not uncommon even with new mowers.

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
This same thing just happened to our new pressure washer with Briggs engine. Think float gets stuck from sitting?

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
That is what happened to us! Its date code is 12/11 on ours.

Reactions: motorhead12

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
X2!

·
Registered
459 Posts
So now I have a new one still in the box in my garage, I am hesitant to put this one togeather fearing the same problem. Is there a history of this problem with this model?

...if I keep the second mower do I just register it for the free extended warranty? I wonder if there is a limit of one per household?
Mike, first, sorry to hear of the trouble with the first unit. Honda dealers (and Honda factory warranty) are set-up to deal with just this type of situation.

There is no history of fuel leaks with Honda's current mower line-up. Some models did have an issue with a fuel valve, but that was way, WAY back in 2000.

I am confident the new mower you got should be just fine, and would not hesitate to put it in use right away. Be sure to read over the owner's manual, and pay particular attention to the section on the fuel valve. While Honda carburetors don't leak like this on a regular basis, it is a good practice to always turn the fuel valve to OFF when the mower is not in use.

Finally, you are welcome to either contact Honda direct [ (770) 497-6400 ] to update the registration, or I can handle it for you. Just drop me a private message with your full name and address (as you used on the registration form) and also the full serial number of the new mower.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mike, first, sorry to hear of the trouble with the first unit. Honda dealers (and Honda factory warranty) are set-up to deal with just this type of situation.

There is no history of fuel leaks with Honda's current mower line-up. Some models did have an issue with a fuel valve, but that was way, WAY back in 2000.

I am confident the new mower you got should be just fine, and would not hesitate to put it in use right away. Be sure to read over the owner's manual, and pay particular attention to the section on the fuel valve. While Honda carburetors don't leak like this on a regular basis, it is a good practice to always turn the fuel valve to OFF when the mower is not in use.

Finally, you are welcome to either contact Honda direct [ (770) 497-6400 ] to update the registration, or I can handle it for you. Just drop me a private message with your full name and address (as you used on the registration form) and also the full serial number of the new mower.

Thanks Robert, I will put this one together this weekend. I did read the manual before I assembled the first mower but I didn't catch the recommendation to shut the fuel valve after each use, I definitely will do this moving forward. The dealer locator says my local John Deere store is a Honda dealer too so if I have issues I will try to take it to them, hopefully they would still help even though I didn't purchase it there. I'm looking forward to owning this mower for many years to come. I will PM you the new serial number this weekend. Thanks again for your help.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts