My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy,

Earlier this summer, I picked up a HRM215HXA. After some simple basic maintenance (plug, oil, blades), the mower starts on the first pull, runs great and cuts well.

However, the hydro transmission seems a bit out of whack. Sometimes, when engaging, all goes well, and we're off and running. On other occasions, while the mower will move under its own power, the speed is unbearably slow.

Typically, when the speed is low upon engagement, I can dis/re-engage the drive (sometimes requiring multiple attempts) and it will engage at the proper speed. Other times, I can find success in engaging at a lower speed and then slowly increasing on the lever. In all cases, once engaged at proper ground speed, the mower will maintain that speed until disengaged.

I was not fortunate enough to have obtained the manuals with the mower when purchased. Are there adjustments that I should be attempting to correct this?

I appreciate the help of the group!

Thanks in advance,
Ryan

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
probably a lose cable
And there's even a procedure in the owner's manual for adjustment! Thanks to the fancy links in those sticky posts at the top of the forum, I now have an electronic copy and will give it a shot. I can say that I've noticed the spring from the handle to the cable appears to have more play than I'd otherwise expect.

Will update, hopefully after a mowing session that doesn't involve fighting the ground speed battle.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have the exact same mower and just fixed this same problem with help from Robert on this forum.
You will need an Arm Control Kit, honda part # 06225-ve5-305. I think I ordered mine from boats.net.

Now with the new kit installed I can not keep up with the mower at full speed position.
The kit is installed on the trans under the mower where the cable connects, and the new lever spring for the handlebar control replaces the old one.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you as well Dave! I didn't get around to trying the adjustment per the manual last night, but will give that a shot and if not, plan to need the control arm kit. Was there a troubleshooting procedure that lead you to that solution? I seem to recall reading somewhere that certain serial #s were effected?

Regardless, if you would be willing to forward those installation instructions Robert sent you, I'd truly appreciate it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts