My Lawnmower Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got this HRM215-HXA from a friend, as he'd bought a new mower and this one needed repair. The symptom that presented was that a grinding/clacking could be heard from the left rear wheel when pushing the mower and when it was in motion, and the mower would pull to one side while in drive.

So, when I took the left-rear wheel off, I found that the pinion gear on the driveshaft was stripped.

I ordered a new pinion gear, the retaining circlip, and the spacer-washer that were on the outside of the gear (I ordered 2 of each, as they were all quite reasonably priced). But, when going in to make the repair today (since the parts arrived yesterday), I found a possible source of the problem - the inner circlip that positions the pinion gear was out of position. This may have allowed the pinion gear to drag on the gear on the inside of the wheel while incorrectly positioned, which eventually stripped the pinion gear.

So, I installed a new circlip for the inside of the gear, the spacer-washer, then the pinion gear, the second spacer-washer, and then the outer circlip. The pinion gear is supposed to be installed with the identifying dimple to the inside.

And now it's working great!

Parts used:
Pinion gear - 42661-VE2-800
Circlip - 90651-VE2-800
Washer - 91559-VE2-800

·
Administrator
6,223 Posts
Thanks for the very informational post khnitz! That will save the next guy that comes along looking for the fix to that problem a lot of time wondering what to do. :cool

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Mark,

I'm a fan of these enthusiast forums - I participate on them for all my vehicles/equipment I maintain.

But, I realize that they're only helpful when people follow through and post the results of their repairs. So, I'm just paying some of the help I've gotten from forums back (and forward) :)

Thanks!
Karl

1 - 3 of 3 Posts