My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi , I want to check the blade clutch plates on my Honda HRH536. The Shop manual says that I should engage the rotostop while trying to undo the central nut that needs unddone to get at the blade clutch... but when I put a wrench on the bolt either with or without the rotostop engaged the engine still turns over. and the nut doesn't loosen. When I put one wrench on the nout on the top of the engne and one wrench on the entral bolt under the blade then its the nut on the top of the engine that loosens . Anyone got any tips on how to looosen the bolt under the blade so I an ger the cluth off ? :dunno:

·
Premium Member
6,110 Posts
The same thing happens on the mowers I have. Here's how I do it.

Take the spark plug out and run the piston down to the bottom of it's stroke. Then put a length of rope into the cylinder through the spark plug hole. I use rope that's about 1/4" diameter and about 12 to 18", or so long. The rope acts as a piston stop for you as you turn that bolt and the piston compresses the rope against the top of the cylinder. Do the same when you put that bolt back in and torque it up.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The same thing happens on the mowers I have. Here's how I do it.

Take the spark plug out and run the piston down to the bottom of it's stroke. Then put a length of rope into the cylinder through the spark plug hole. I use rope that's about 1/4" diameter and about 12 to 18", or so long. The rope acts as a piston stop for you as you turn that bolt and the piston compresses the rope against the top of the cylinder. Do the same when you put that bolt back in and torque it up.
cheers bwdbrn ..... any idea if the bolt ahs a left or right hand thread ?

·
Premium Member
6,110 Posts
Lefty loosey, righty tighty

Oh, probably don't need to say this, but don't forget to leave a bit of the rope sticking out of the plug hole so you can pull it back out after you're done.:eek:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
:gp: hey , the rope trick worked fine. Fed a bit in , pullled the starter cord slowly and fed more in as piston dropped kept doing this till got max rope in and engine wouldnt pull any more. Wrench on the bolt and brill it atualy loosened off pretty easy . Made my day :). Just need to get the bloody bak wheels off now as only one is driving. Can get the bolts of these okay but cant get the bloody wheels to slip off the axle ... bearings seem seized to, or very tight, on the axle

·
Premium Member
6,110 Posts
Hmmm...sorry, don't know that I can help with that one. The mowers I'm most used to are the HR214 and HR215 series, and while they have similarities to the commercial mowers here in the U.S., not quite sure of what differences you'd have on yours.

I took a look at the exploded diagrams of the HRH536 on Lings Honda Parts web site, and there's a bit of difference from what I'm used to working on.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
just the usual on the 30th ;) ....

daftmill.jpg

aw that.jpg

wheels off , one of the ratchet drives in knackered ... same part as HRC216 ... it flipping £32 over here. I'll give it a good soak in deisel and see if I an recover it .. but think the spring wire is a bit past it

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yeah I know ... god knows why honda parts are weel over double the proce over here :soap: Seems that that wee ratchet bit (part number 23510-VB5-803) is avalibale for about £7 over you side of da pond... but then I get hit with stupid import taxes , airmail freight harges and import handling paperwork if I order new from US ... which will make it same price or dearer than it is over here. Dont fancy parting with one out of your parts bin do you ? ... could pay you via paypal ?

black frame new shocks + rear mud B&W.jpg

1 - 12 of 12 Posts