My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings All:

First posting - concerning HRA214. I garbage picked this machine about 12 to 15 years ago. One spot on the deck looked like Swiss cheese and the blade was bent. New blade and spark plug (plus strips of metal formed and welded onto place on the deck and the mower was back in use. From the beginning the engine would blow an immense cloud of oil smoke on start up. If I quickly put the engine under load (engaged the blade clutch and drive the smoke would subside much quicker. This has gone on for 12+ years - surprising but oil use was reasonable. I'm guessing valve guides but the problem was not bad enough to deal with). Late last year the motor developed an oil leak. I power washed the mower off in early October to get a better view of where the oil might be coming from - hoping to get one more mowing in but the season ended before I could run the machine to see where the oil leak was at. That did not happen and when using the mower this season it is engulfed in a blue haze once the engine gets hot. This is oil burning off of a hot surface not coming out of the exhaust port (after the start up oil smoke out of the exhaust is gone and the muffle port is not "oily"). The oil is coming out of the engine somewhere above the shroud level. In another posting (of a different model) there was mention of an engine breather. http://www.mylawnmowerforum.com/forum/44-honda/30753-h2113-engine-replacement-repair-options.html This got me to thinking - I do not remember ever servicing this. Where is the engine breather located and what does it look like?

When I remove the oil fill with the engine running a large amount of oil literally sprays out. Normal or clogged breather or combustion blow-by (reason I unscrewed the oil fill with the engine running).

One more question - how stout is the bottom end? I think I am hearing some rod noise but it could well be my imagination (knowing the motor has other mechanical problems at the moment).

Finally - ballpark parts cost to rebuild: re-ring, valve guides, seals & gaskets, other wear items I've forgot to list. This is a great posting on documenting the rebuild process: http://www.mylawnmowerforum.com/forum/5-small-engine-repair-discussion/8313-honda-gxv120-rebuild.html

http://www.mylawnmowerforum.com/for...air-discussion/8313-honda-gxv120-rebuild.html

·
Premium Member
6,109 Posts
Having oil shoot out of the filler tube while the engine is running is normal. Hope you weren't too close to it when you took it off.:^:

The breather on the GXV120 engine is up under the shroud, and under the flywheel, but I wouldn't think that's your problem. My Honda dealer told me once not to bother with the breather on these things, and well, I never have. But, I have a couple of notions of what your problem might be, especially if the oil leak seems to be from the carb side of the engine.

First, if the engine was over filled with oil, it could be running off into the breather tube and into the air cleaner. In that case I would think it would be smoking out the exhaust. Anyway, take the air cleaner cover off and see if there's oil in the air cleaner box.

Second, and the one I think is most likely, take a look down under your air cleaner box and you should see a rubber hose that goes from the back of the box up into the side of the engine. (It's that black hose you see in post #7 in that rebuild thread.) On many of the GXV120 engines, that hose was just pressed into the side of the engine and held there by friction. It may have come out, or is not tight enough to keep oil from blowing out from around the hose. You can try pushing it in a bit, or, a better fix is to clean the area around the hose where it connects to the engine block, and see if the hose will pull free. If it does, clean the hose off and put a good heat resistant sealant around the end of the outside of the hose and push it back into the hole on the block. I've done it to at least a couple of engines and it has held up just fine.

I haven't checked prices of the various parts lately, but the rebuild I did in that thread was around $50 - 60 if I remember right. Personally I consider it worth the cost. You can look up all the parts on Honda's Power Equipment web site, find the part numbers, and then go to your dealer to order them or search online for them.

http://peparts.honda.com/powerequipment?aribrand=HONPE

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you bwdbrn1 for your response.

I'll try to dive into this on Thursday evening. The carb side of the engine did appear to be more oily.

In your rebuild post, I did not see mention of replacing the valve guides. Are these common wear items or typically very durable? On my mower, the engine blows a heavy cloud of blue smoke, for quite a while, on start up if I don't load the engine down with the blade clutch and drive engagement. I have speculated that this is due to worn valve guides (I'm using experience w/ water cooled multi cylinder engines smoking on start-up but not later - could be a very faulty assumption to apply to air cooled singles).

·
Premium Member
6,109 Posts
I've never touched the valve guides on any of the ones I've worked on. A cylinder honing and new standard sized rings have been good on the ones I've done. They got a carb cleaning and new gaskets for all the parts that came off to do those jobs.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
still leaking oil

bwdbrn1, as you suspected the crank vent hose was loose from the block (and it appeared to have broken off at some point in the past based on the irregular end that fit in the block). I bought a new hose and used a bit of RTV to insure it remained secure in the block. Before reinstalling the cover, I thouroughly cleaned the engine and the underside of the engine cover. During my first mowing, running the engine long enough to have used about 1/3 of a tank of fuel, I noticed oil dripping off of the underside of the fuel tank and onto the mower deck. After compelting mowing, I pulled the engine cover back off and there was oil film almost every where. I am **guessing** the oil leak is coming from under the flywheel -the issue is(?) either the upper crank seal of the crank vent.

Oil level was at the full mark (not over filled) it does not seem reasonable that the upper crank seal would be seeing enough splash lubrication to leak so much. What could cause the engine cavity to be over pressured to be forcing oil out?

·
Premium Member
6,109 Posts
It wouldn't hurt to pull the flywheel and take a peek under it just to have a look see if nothing else. You'll need a puller to pull the flywheel.

The upper seal and the seal around the breather have never been an issue that I've seen, or ever been told of by my Honda dealer, who has been a great source of information and help to me over time. Lower seal yes, upper one, no.

I'm wondering if the head gasket might be the culprit here. I oriented one the wrong way when rebuilding one of these once, and when I started it, the oil came out in a very fine mist. I just wonder if that gasket may have gone south on you for some reason. It's easy enough to check the torque on the head, and you could adjust the valves while your in there checking the head bolts.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts