My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hydrastatic Honda 215. Ran great when parked just last week. Now, starts but only runs briefly (seconds), then will not restart. New air filter, new spark plug, fresh fuel. Pulled fuel line at both ends, getting fuel from tank and to carb float bowl. Not sure if the tiny inline cylindrical fuel filter inside hose at tank end is totally clear but appears so. Is coil module the likely culprit?

·
Registered
344 Posts
if you have any carburetor cleaner or starting fluid, after it dies, remove the air filter cover and filter, and spray it directly in the carb. just about a 2 second spray, then try to start.
If it runs then dies again, you have a fuel issue. most likely trash in the fuel bowl. if it doesn't start at all, i'd suspect the coil.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
if you have any carburetor cleaner or starting fluid, after it dies, remove the air filter cover and filter, and spray it directly in the carb. just about a 2 second spray, then try to start.
If it runs then dies again, you have a fuel issue. most likely trash in the fuel bowl. if it doesn't start at all, i'd suspect the coil.
Thanks fyi. I already tried a spray of starter fluid into carb throat, same result, no improvement or increased run time. Dropped fuel bowl for inspection, no issues there.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So you tried the starter fluid immediately after it ran then died?
I did and no restart. Ordered new coil module so we'll see. Puzzling than it ran perfectly during last week's mow and again briefly yesterday until it quit while running. After sitting awhile, will start for a few seconds then dies, not to restart.🤔

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did and no restart. Ordered new coil module so we'll see. Puzzling than it ran perfectly during last week's mow and again briefly yesterday until it quit while running. After sitting awhile, will start for a few seconds then dies, not to restart.🤔
Just a follow-up.....installed new coil module, set gap, back in business. The 30 year old Honda again runs like a Swiss watch👍.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts