My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What do you do when you might need a little more traction or flotation out of your walk behind mower? Why not add a set of dual wheels? Hey, we've got four wheel drive mowers now, so why not? But how to do this?

The HR215 wheel axels are mounted to the height adjuster arms and the wheels are held in place with a shoulder bolt. The wheels on the HRR series of mowers are held in place with an axel bolt. Hmmmm...Sorry Franken Mower, but I need to borrow your rear axel bolts for a minute....

Take one HR215SM, an extra pair of rear wheels and tires, a pair of axel bolts from the HRR series and you're all set.

The threaded end of the HRR axel bolts screws right into the axels of the HR215 and snug the outside wheel right up to the inner one and the shoulder bottoms out against the axel on the HR215. I'll have to look for a bushing to mate up the outside diameter of the axel bolt to the inside diameter of the the rear HR215 wheel, or use front wheels for the outside duals.

Or maybe I should find another hobby.:dunno: Wonder if there's a cross stitching forum?

·
Premium Member
6,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks buddy, but I got to thinking, the frosting from the donuts might stain the threads. I'll stick with mowers:ThumbUp:

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
I don't know what to say other than this is something that I would probably do!?

Clever idea, Bruce. Does it have much of an effect while mowing like is it smoother in the back while going over rough terrain, harder steer etc? I would imagine that it would assist with traction a bit when the grass is wet.

It almost looks like it belongs at the drag strip while looking at it from the back!

·
Premium Member
6,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I took it for a short spin around the back yard, and it didn't seem any harder to turn than with the single wheels. It sure wouldn't be worth a darn for mowing up close to anything. I'm thinking it will work pretty well in sandy areas where the single wheels sink in. As soon as I get an extra set of front wheels I'm going to see how they bolt up, and give it another go. Should look pretty aggressive with duals on front and back.

I wonder if the Jake sulky could be hitched up some how? Hmmmm...where's that last frosted donut? I got me some thinkin' to do.

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Now that would be something, a sulky behind a walk-behind Honda mower. I'm sure a hitch could be rigged up one way or the other.

It would be neat to put duals on a LK. I could almost picture that as an option in one of the brochures, "A dual wheel kit is optional with the snowplow attachment to increase traction."

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
4 wheel independent suspension...that's going to require a bigger box of donuts to figure that on out guys.

Now that you mention it Austen, I'm surprised they didn't offer dual wheels on the LKs. But wait, are those wheels turning I hear in the background?:idea:

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Now that's just awesome! :2th:

I've used wagons as sulkies before, Although the best one I ever made was a modified kiddie bike trailer.

Unfortunately, I no longer have any photos of that due to my old computer dying.

-Stan

1 - 11 of 11 Posts