My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I prepare to rebuild my 1983 HR214SXA, I wonder... Was there ever a HR214 Electric Start retrofit kit offered by Honda or anyone else? Will a Honda GX160 kit work on the GXV120?

·
Premium Member
9,017 Posts
I did a quick search but came up empty. Robert will know and he should pop in tomorrow or next day. Our resident Honda rep! :)

·
Registered
459 Posts
As I prepare to rebuild my 1983 HR214SXA, I wonder... Was there ever a HR214 Electric Start retrofit kit offered by Honda or anyone else? Will a Honda GX160 kit work on the GXV120?
Good news / bad news: The HR214 was offered with an electric start option. The parts changed along the years, so I'd need the full serial number off the back of the mower deck to see what is or is not available. But, might be a moot point as the cost is outrageous. The starter motor alone is $181.73 list :tango_face_surprise , and you'd also need a new flywheel (with the necessary ring gear) and that's $121.67. There's also the battery, ignition switch, external charger ($242.57) and wire harness, etc., etc.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Robert,

Can you check with one of the engineers and see if the GX160 flywheel will work on the GXV120? That would be a cheaper way to get there... I will get the serial number tonight.

Thanks,
Andy

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
And if not the GX160 flywheel, how about the GXV140 from the HR215? My HR214SXA Plate is only stamped HR 214-FJ.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, I'm serious... It *APPEARS* that the GX160 flywheel is the same size/orientation as the GX120/GXV120, but I'd really like/appreciate confirmation from someone who actually knows...

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, since:

A. GX160 components seem to be fairly common across multiple Honda products and therefore seem to be more reasonably priced than old HR214/HR215 components, and

B. Some sources indicate that GX160 flywheels are compatible with GX120 & GX140 engines, and

C. Many Honda Power Equipment parts seem to share some commonality with other Honda product lines, and

D. I've stumbled across a source of GX160 parts that are locally available, and

E. If they're actually compatible with the GXV120 engine in my mower, then I'll make my wife (who sometimes mows the lawn and has a hard time starting the mower due to arthritis) extremely happy...

Then all I really need is expert confirmation that the flywheel from a GX160 will function on a GXV120.

·
Premium Member
6,115 Posts
Check your other thread. I've linked a couple of ebay auction for parts you are looking for and I have a couple more in my inventory of parts I could be talked into parting with.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I now have ALL the parts to add electric starting to my HR214SXA. Started fabricating the brackets for the lower handle to attach the battery tray and control panel. Should have that part done tomorrow.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I live in Seattle and have all the parts in the shed with the motor all broken down for rebuild make me a offer.
The shipping will cost a lot I would think.
It depends where you live I guess.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Brief Video of HR214SXA converted to HR214SMA

Here is a brief video of my 35 year old HR214SXA converted to a HR214SMA (electric start).

Note the cancer on the aluminum mower deck that is my next project - just waiting for back-ordered gaskets to arrive before tearing down the motor for a ring job and swapping it onto a replacement deck.

While I had the flywheel cover and recoil starter off, I gave them a quick paint job to spiff them up a bit.

I completely re-wired the control panel to add a voltmeter/ammeter to monitor battery charging and starter motor load (about 7 amps). I also added a charger pigtail that hangs down from the panel below the key.

The control panel bracket was fabbed from aluminum channel and leftover stainless hardware from another project. The battery is actually from an emergency exit sign, but has the same characteristics as the original Honda battery.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/w1cljeidd2ffxyv/HR214SXA-SMA.wmv?dl=0

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Nice....But is the charger wired across the load ? What does the switch accomplish ?
Yes, the charger is wired in parallel with the load, since the mower is not running when the charger is plugged in, although at these amp levels, it would not (and does not) make any difference. The switch turns the meter on and off.

Attachments

Reactions: Mark / Ohio

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
:tango_face_glasses: Pretty cool having a digital readout like that! :Thumb up:
And cheap, too...

Meter cost $3.28
Switch cost $0.77
Shunt cost $1.99

Reactions: quickshot