My Lawnmower Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I got a dozen tall trees in my backyard and tons of leaves to rake/blow each fall, so I was thinking if it is time to get a bagging system for my new zero-turn.

However I talked to a friend who had a Craftsman tractor with bagger. He's not very excited - he said he has to drive very slow in order to pick up leaves, and bags are filling up too quick. So he has to stop/dump quite often. He said the bagger is only good for small amount of leaves (when you can still see the lawn), but it can't handle much.

So just want to listen to some more feedback, especially those who had a bagger, does it work well to pick up leaves?

Many thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
I got a dozen tall trees in my backyard and tons of leaves to rake/blow each fall, so I was thinking if it is time to get a bagging system for my new zero-turn.

However I talked to a friend who had a Craftsman tractor with bagger. He's not very excited - he said he has to drive very slow in order to pick up leaves, and bags are filling up too quick. So he has to stop/dump quite often. He said the bagger is only good for small amount of leaves (when you can still see the lawn), but it can't handle much.

So just want to listen to some more feedback, especially those who had a bagger, does it work well to pick up leaves?

Many thanks
I also have a Craftsman 42" mower with a bagger. I will agree that you have to go slow and empty often. But it is definitely better than raking the leaves by hand. I found the secret is to bag the leaves about every 2nd day or so before they build up to much. My opinion is a bagger is certainly better than doing it by hand. Al

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I also have a Craftsman 42" mower with a bagger. I will agree that you have to go slow and empty often. But it is definitely better than raking the leaves by hand. I found the secret is to bag the leaves about every 2nd day or so before they build up to much. My opinion is a bagger is certainly better than doing it by hand. Al
Thank you for your opinion. That's one vote for the bagger

·
Registered
88 Posts
I would say it depend on 2 factor, first, does you bagging system has an accelerator to push leaves in the bag, second, are the leaves wet or dry, you could also consider buying a lawn and leaf vaccum,

·
Registered
144 Posts
he said he has to drive very slow in order to pick up leaves, and bags are filling up too quick.
Yes, that's true. I find that if I drive over all the leaves once with the bags off so that I leave a trail of chopped up leaves behind, and then mow a second time with the bags in place, I can get a lot more packed into the bags before emptying them. They are really heavy when the leaf/grass mix is chopped so finely.

Reactions: Grunt

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, that's true. I find that if I drive over all the leaves once with the bags off so that I leave a trail of chopped up leaves behind, and then mow a second time with the bags in place, I can get a lot more packed into the bags before emptying them.
I see. Shred then vacuum. Thanks for the idea. With the amount of leaves I have, guess no matter what it's going to be some labor.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would say it depend on 2 factor, first, does you bagging system has an accelerator to push leaves in the bag, second, are the leaves wet or dry, you could also consider buying a lawn and leaf vaccum,
The bagging system for my 75742 doesn't come with an accelerator. That's not good.

Each year during leaf season I can easily make a "leaf mountain" 6'x6'x60' every couple of weeks. Guess a "leaf sweeper" perhaps is more suitable for job like this. Thanks for the opinion.

·
Registered
387 Posts
You would be better off with something like this for the amount of leaves you have.
ScreenHunter_423 Jun. 01 11.37.jpg

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yess, but I would reccomend more something like a walk behind vaccum shredder, since this will not shred leaf, it will just pick them up, and you will have to empty it as well
I see. It is for sure that I need some serious power. Thanks for the thoughts.

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
I've tried using the rider with the bagger on for leaves before with mediocre results at best. If the day was windy before you get home and there is a solid covering of the ground, then just forget it. I finally purchased a pull behind sweeper like the one shown a few posts above. Mine is labeled as being made by "Ohio Steel". I'm using it with Kubota G6200 HST. It works just fine for me. The hopper comes with a rope that you attach to the tractor somewhere near the seat. Just back up to where you want them dumped and pull the rope. The hopper rotates forward and dumps the yard debris without even getting off the seat. I can't speak to other models, but the one I have has a double helix type rotating brush that works great on other things like pine cones, pine needles, and grass rows as well. The model I have also allows you to adjust where the tongue is mounted on the unit so if you want to, you can have it track out to the side to pick up grass as you cut.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've tried using the rider with the bagger on for leaves before with mediocre results at best. If the day was windy before you get home and there is a solid covering of the ground, then just forget it. I finally purchased a pull behind sweeper like the one shown a few posts above. Mine is labeled as being made by "Ohio Steel". I'm using it with Kubota G6200 HST. It works just fine for me. The hopper comes with a rope that you attach to the tractor somewhere near the seat. Just back up to where you want them dumped and pull the rope. The hopper rotates forward and dumps the yard debris without even getting off the seat. I can't speak to other models, but the one I have has a double helix type rotating brush that works great on other things like pine cones, pine needles, and grass rows as well. The model I have also allows you to adjust where the tongue is mounted on the unit so if you want to, you can have it track out to the side to pick up grass as you cut.
Thank you very much for the info. Great review. Good to know.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts