My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Havn't Tried to start yet. Sitting with old gas for who knows how long. Got good oil nice and vlean and full. When I pull it over it is bumpy.. not compression bumpy, just rough to pull it jerks. I pulled the side cover off to look at valves, they open and close, it sounds like they kinda click. One spins.. (normal)? Trouble shooting tips? How to adjust valves? The flywheel key is good a little bit offcenter but not causing it to pull over so rough like it does. Want to figure it out before I put gas in to try to fire it up.

Help!!!

·
Administrator
6,228 Posts
A little oil in the cylinder will make it pull lumpy as even a small amount kind of hydro-locks the cylinder. How does it feel when you pull with the plug removed?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

It pulls smooth without the plug in. I don't see much in the way of oil in there and the plug isnt oil soaked so....?

Oh, it seemed it was lumpy at first but the more times I pulled it over faster and faster it got slightly better.

·
Administrator
7,693 Posts
:ditto: The flywheel key is the source of your problems. A little difference here can cause major valve timing discrepancies, which would lead to the "lumpiness".

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The more I pulled the smoother it got.... maybe it was just tight from sitting so long? Iam going to replace the key anyway, its dented.

Thanks for all the help.

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
smokey, bet that is why it wouldn't start if you tried yet. Those old Briggs are like tanks! Take some pictures to show us the machine!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh, btw it was rough as well because the head was so clogged with carbon the valves couldnt open all tgw way. All clean now. Iam embarrased to show you the machine ( its seen better days since 1987.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
I can upload pictures directly from my iPhone using the built in Image uploader..

I assume it would work with a Android or Windows phone too, As long as you have Google chrome or some other half modern browser..

-Stan

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
UPDATE: New flywheel key, fresh oil, and a blade, it started and ran smooth on the 3rd pull in negative temps. Pretty impressive. I did put a full tank of gas in it..... oh well, seafoam should keep it together until mowing season.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts