My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hard to find fuel with no ethanol in most places, and most of you know the problems with it in small gas engines, especially if left in the tank for a while. Honda has a new tool to help when troubleshooting possible stale fuel issues, a Fuel/Alcohol tester. Most engines will be fine with 10% or less ethanol, and this tool will give a good indicator of how much is actually in your tank:

Add a bit of water to the tube, then fill with the sample gasoline. Shake it up, wait a few minutes, and read the percentage of ethanol (alcohol) direct. Gasoline floats on top of water, and when shaken, the ethanol binds with the water and sinks to the bottom of the tube:

Honda part number 07AAJ-E85A100. Google the part number to find a dealer selling online, or find your local dealer with this link:

Find a Honda Dealer

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
That's a handy little tool. I'll be getting me one and a spare. Glass = operator malfunction.. :p

Thanks RH ;)

·
Premium Member
1,444 Posts
That is great information.:ThumbUp:

·
Premium Member
1,444 Posts
Wow, checked out several sites for this tool. Prices range from in the 20's to the 40's. For the same item. Go figure. One site was like a chainsaw forum, they were talking about running AV100 (aviation fuel) or going to a marina and getting 89-91 octane pure gas. Anybody do this?

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
So far, I've not had any issues and I am starting to wonder if I'm not getting any ethanol whatsoever.. I mostly buy from "Marathon" and I buy the Higher octane stuff for the Lawn-Boys.. There is a gas station not far from me called "USA GAS" Which claims to have no ethanol and people flock to them.. Wonder if it's just a ploy :dunno:

-Stan

·
Banned
84 Posts
I've been running the fuels with the mandated ethanol in them for over 15 years and have yet to see any sort of failure as a result of the fuel. The only thing I've noticed is that the smaller engines run smoother with the low octane fuel compared to high octane fuel.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Echo makes a similar tool to this but is only about 10 bucks and is a bit smaller.

I began having issues with Ethanol shortly after fuel companies started adding it. I have a local BP station that keeps it ethanol content down to about 3-5% which is some of the best I have found here in Raleigh. There are a few stations that I have heard of that have ethanol free 93 octane; finding it is the trick.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
I've been running the fuels with the mandated ethanol in them for over 15 years and have yet to see any sort of failure as a result of the fuel. The only thing I've noticed is that the smaller engines run smoother with the low octane fuel compared to high octane fuel.
I have also (As Previously mentioned) Never had an issue.. What kind of issues do you guys experience? because I hardly even ever use Fuel stabilizer over the winter (Shoot me) And I've never even had one carburetor gum up on me.. Ever...

-Stan :dunno: :bag:

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
Hi! I regularly purchase my fuel from BP. Some of the stations in my area have gone completely to all grades with 10% ethanol while some other stations have one grade with ethanol, usually mid grade, and the regular and premium are ethanol free. There was a big problem about a year ago where one of the BP stations had somehow got a bunch of water in their tanks and it caused havoc amongst a bunch of car owners. Ever since then I have been checking my fuel with one of those testors. I bought mine through my local Toro dealer and it was branded as a Briggs and Stratton part. Here is a link. Bill

http://www.amazon.com/Briggs-Stratton-795161-Gasohol-Replaces/dp/B002WNULS4

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
I had a thought.. You could, In theory just use a small tube or jar of any kind..

And as a matter of fact, There are people talking about doing just that in the reviews for that Ethanol tester you posted Smitty..

Something like this should do fine in my opinion..

-Stan

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
Hi! Any glass container such as the one you posted will work however the calibrated cylinders tell you exactly how much water to put in and how much gasoline. Then after you shake it up and let it sit it will also tell you the % of ethanol in the fuel. The unmarked glass container would only show if there is ethanol present but not the %. Also you would need to know the ratio of gas to water to make it work properly to get an accurate reading. If you are at all concerned about the amount of ethanol in your fuel, if any, then one of the calibrated testers is a cheap investment compared to the repairs that could possibly be needed down the road. Thanks, Bill

1 - 14 of 14 Posts