My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I'm pretty old school. I started mowing with LawnBoy mowers back in the late 1950's. Always had LawnBoy mowers. Tried others, went back to LawnBoy. Later models kept adding more and more safety "compliance" features, such as blade-brake, dead man engine ignition kill if you let go of handlebar...I can live with these, however at some point Lawnboy (and possibly other brands) added a "toe-guard" in the grass outlet, which is a guarantee of below deck clumping if the grass is the least bit tall, and a trailing plastic piece behind the deck, which makes backing up more difficult. I just remove these things, and the newer mowers become almost as easy to use as the old ones. Anyone else do this?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I realize the above post of mine does mention defeating "safety" items, however I am not telling you "how" to defeat any safety issue, I am just curious how many of you run your LawnBoys like I do.

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
Unfortunately due to the "Liability Issues" bypassing and/or defeating the compliance safety protocols are avoided in the forums. You may find that no one openly discusses these things as they would normally be deleted from the forum.
:sorry:

·
Registered
111 Posts
I think the BBC comes in handy when you have to dump the bag, and the rear debris guard can help the mower stripe better (if you care about that).

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
:ditto:

Without the rock guard the machine is inherently dangerous... I've used machines (Farm Beaters mostly) Where the guard had fallen/broken off and it wasn't pleasant... All manner of things come flying out the back and hit your ankles.. Not fun..

And It does make the machine stripe better..

-Stan

·
Administrator
7,693 Posts
I am not always a fan of mandated safety features if they cause unnecessary inconvenience, but I would definitely NOT remove the rear guard. One time, I hit a big rock that flew out the side of the mower, and I couldn't even find it afterwards! I'm just glad that it didn't come out the back, and that nobody was standing in the way.:eek:

·
Registered
111 Posts
I am not always a fan of mandated safety features if they cause unnecessary inconvenience, but I would definitely NOT remove the rear guard. One time, I hit a big rock that flew out the side of the mower, and I couldn't even find it afterwards! I'm just glad that it didn't come out the back, and that nobody was standing in the way.:eek:
Yeah same with the guard on my Echo trimmer! I have a tiny hole in it from a rock! If that guard wasn't there.....I don't even want to think about it! :(

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
My neighbor was mowing with a Ford tractor we got from them later on. She had deck on ground mowing dirt, shot a rock over 100' and I had to use the shoes in new box I had in my hands to block rock from hitting me! Went into box!! Would have hurt bad! I have hit myself with rocks even with guards on, hurt then!

·
Premium Member
1,136 Posts
So, NONE of you guys mow with pre-compliance mowers without the safety features?
Pre-compliance would be a fairly old mower for me. Although I did mow in the late '50's too.

Not going to preach to anyone, but these safety features often feel like an inconvenience at first. Doesn't take too long for me to adapt. Much like vehicles when I was a teenager. We didn't have or need seatbelts. Now, I wouldn't drive anything without buckling up...

·
Registered
56 Posts
I ran over and shredded the back guard the first time I jacked my mower down to the lowest setting. Before that I had it a notch or two above lowest, and it just made it a gigantic PITA to pull backwards.

I wouldn't take it off, but I'm not going to replace it, either.

I will say that I absolutely hated the deadman's handle when I got my first post compliance mower in 1998. I'm merely ambivalent about it now, but it does serve a valuable function.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, I started mowing with LawnBoy's long, long before the safety features were added. In those days you just didn't go off blindly mowing, you looked where you were going and if there was a rock big enough to get caught by the blade, you tossed it. I still regularly mow with older LawnBoy's. I can't see how the newer models without the safety features would be any more dangerous than the older ones which never came with these features. I'm just fine with the deadman's handle, though. I remember once, mowing with a 1960's Lawnboy out behind a rent house of mine and I ran over an in-ground nest of bees or yellowjackets or something that got angry and started biting me. I ran as fast as I could back to my house (down the alley), and just left the mower idling there. A neighbor had to go turn the mower off. That was an experience.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I have an old 70's snapper that has a metal "flap" hanging off the rear axle, as does my newer snapper, but its made of plastic. Both hang just high enough off the ground that if I roll them down the alley next to my neighbors house, the little pebbles and stones catch them, but when in the yard, they do a good job of catching anything that flys back. I have a 94 lawnboy silver series with the techumseh 4 stroke that has a plastic flap in the back and its never given me any trouble. On a side note, I've always had all kinds of problems with the lawn boy clogging up as well. I've been told to remove the toe guard as well, but it looks like that creates part of the "curve" to the inside of the deck and worried it would affect cutting performance if removed. Is this not the case?

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
I'd say with a Pre-Compliance machine it would be even more dangerous.. Because if something did fly out and hit you, You couldn't even just let go of the bail bar to stop the engine running.. You'd have to walk all the way around and turn off the switch and that's a pain..

-Stan

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'd say with a Pre-Compliance machine it would be even more dangerous.. Because if something did fly out and hit you, You couldn't even just let go of the bail bar to stop the engine running.. You'd have to walk all the way around and turn off the switch and that's a pain..

-Stan
Oh yeah, pre-compliance mowers ARE more dangerous, but plenty of us used them then, use them now, and suffer no harm. The point I am making is that post-compliance mowers, if the safety bits are removed, are NO MORE dangerous than pre-compliance mowers. I guess, if I could take ONE thing away from post-compliance mowers, it would be the toe-guard, as they universally cause clumping on all but the shortest lawns.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I really don't think the toe guard causes the clumping...waiting too long between mowings does. My old mower, with the guard chewed off still clumps, even jacked way up in the air, with the uber alles bahaia I have.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Oh yeah, pre-compliance mowers ARE more dangerous, but plenty of us used them then, use them now, and suffer no harm. The point I am making is that post-compliance mowers, if the safety bits are removed, are NO MORE dangerous than pre-compliance mowers. I guess, if I could take ONE thing away from post-compliance mowers, it would be the toe-guard, as they universally cause clumping on all but the shortest lawns.
I think the biggest problem with all machines is their operators get Cocky and begin taking risks.. Such as removing guards and safety devices.. Then they get hurt and wonder why..

-Stan

·
Registered
226 Posts
So, NONE of you guys mow with pre-compliance mowers without the safety features?
I blow with one. I watched it roll down a hill at full throttle. It landed on it's head and stalled just as I caught up to it. I restarted it and continued working.

An old mower is not likely to roll over and tumble down a hill. However, a runaway still under full power could be scary. Most of my stuff is 13 or 14 years old. It all came with safety features.

·
Premium Member
1,444 Posts
All Eddlemans are pre-compliance, open belts and as soon as the engine turns, so does the blade. That was the main reason they stopped production, couldn't engineer a blade brake. See my post about running over the piece of angle iron, One Tough Mower.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts