My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a disk problem in my mid back. When I pull to start I can easily aggravate. The HRR is already somewhat easier to pull. Are their things that I can do to make it easier? Synthetic oil? Can I lube something etc. after pain of my back last night, I was ready to ditch the HRR and buy a Toro electric start recycler. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Yard Man

·
Premium Member
6,109 Posts
I've always found zone start engines, like you have on your HRR, awkward to start myself as well.

Did it required more than one or two pulls to get it to start?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Funny thing. When I took it out of storage a week ago about 50 degrees out, it started one pull. I took it out, changed plug, oil, blades. A week later, I took it out in 30 degrees, it took 3 or 4 pulls.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Funny thing. When I took it out of storage a week ago about 50 degrees out, it started one pull. I took it out, changed plug, oil, blades. A week later, I took it out in 30 degrees, it took 3 or 4 pulls.
Does your HRR have a manual or automatic choke? Autochoke models are a bit sensitive to cold-weather starts. Autochoke models need to also run for at least 2 minutes to fully warm up. If you allow an auto-choked engine to shut down when NOT fully warmed up, it can be a bear to restart, because the choke thinks the engine is warm but it is not.

FYI, a tip to reduce effort, if you don't already know, when using the recoil starter, grab the grip and pull it slowly until you feel resistance, then pull it away briskly.

The "slack" you feel until there is resistance is the spring-loaded arms in the starter turning a bit until they fully engage the round starter hub; that's when further pulling actually cranks the engine. Use this tip to avoid the harsh shock to your hand when (incorrectly) yanking the starter grip from its resting position.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts