My Lawnmower Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All:

I am attempting to get a spark in my Lawnboy 5069G mower. I set the ignition components to specs.and replaced the original coil with two new coils. That did not help, still no spark. I checked the coils with an ohmmeter as shown on you tube. All of the coils showed no resistance. How can this be? For this check, one checks for resistance on the primary side and then the secondary I’d of the coil. I found no resistance in any of these circuits

What can I do to obtain a spark?

Franchi

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
there should be a small black Kill wire going to the coil, unplug it. and then try to start.
Hi Thanks for the prompt reply.

There is a short white wire that attaches tomounting screw that is probably a ground. There is a longer black wire that goes to the points. That and the spark plug wire is all the wiring that is there. Why did these coils fail the resistance test?

What is the purpose of the thin piece of plastic that goes between the mounting screw and the ground wire for the kill switch? The other end goes to the points.

Like I stated, two of the coils were new in the packages! It must be something that I am missing?

Stay well,

Franchi

·
Registered
266 Posts
Ooookay, it has points and condenser as well... do you know if your points gap is set properly, or the condenser isn't bad?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ooookay, it has points and condenser as well... do you know if your points gap is set properly, or the condenser isn't bad?
Hi Scrubcadet:

I have no idea if the points and condenser are ok. I cleaned and set the points. I did not check the condenser as I have never encountered a faulty condenser in all my life. In electronic work yes, but automotive work, no.

How does one check a condenser? Will charging it via a 12v battery and then discharging it against itself produce a spark?

Stay well,

Franchi

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
Just to confirm the model. Could it be 5269G? Not 5069G. Bill
I have never checked a coil with a meter.
Here is the link to the ignition system for the D-400 series. Rarely is the condenser or coil the problem. Usually a shorted wire, or point problem or adjustment.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just to confirm the model. Could it be 5269G? Not 5069G. Bill
I have never checked a coil with a meter.
Here is the link to the ignition system for the D-400 series. Rarely is the condenser or coil the problem. Usually a shorted wire, or point problem or adjustment.

Hi Thanks for the reply.

I will replace the points. The old ones look good but I have been fooled in the past. Will keep you apprised of the the results.

Stay well,

Franchi

1 - 7 of 7 Posts