My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I am bit desparate with my Honda HF1211 lawn mower (motor GXV340).
The motor starts without any problem when it's cold, but starting it hot mostly doesn't work.
As soon as the motor has cooled down, starting is OK again.
I didn't notice any sparks when starting hot, so I changed the spark plug as well as the ingnition coil.
But that didn't solve the problem; still no sparks when starting with a hot motor.
This problem is really driving me crazy.

By the way, when starting hot, the motor makes a weird noise during the first few seconds (as you can see or hear in this small video - between 10th and 14th second):
Honda motor starting problem - YouTube
Could a malfunctioning small starter solenoid produce such a loud noise? Or would it be the starter engine causing the problem?
Thanks for any advice.
Lukas

·
Premium Member
6,113 Posts
Hi Lukas, welcome to MLMF.

I have to confess, I'm no expert when it comes to things electrical, and others with more knowledge in the area can jump in, but I would say that you might well be on the right track. A solenoid does make noise when it is activated, but it should only be a single "click" sort of sound.

Of course, the solenoid is just part of the whole system that, for lack of a better description, pretty much starts at the battery, and ends at the spark plug. Looking at your video, it looks like your mower is very clean, but taking a look at the contacts at the battery, the condition and age of the battery, plus the contacts at the solenoid and starter are worth a check too. Sometimes dirty or loose contacts can cause problems. I once had problems with starting a garden tractor, and I found out that the nut holding the cable to the starter was loose. I tightened it, and all was good.

Here are a couple video that might be helpful in trouble shooting your solenoid. The noise could be the plunger jumping back and forth

·
Administrator
6,234 Posts
Sounds like either voltage is dropping down low enough that once the solenoid connects the starter the voltage drops some more and causes it to drop the connection. Then the cycle rapidly repeats as the voltage comes back up enough to let the solenoid reconnect the starter. Or could be the solenoid itself.

I would probably start by cleaning and checking all the battery connections are tight and if the problem persists take the battery to be tested before changing the solenoid. Solenoids do go bad but odds are probably better it is a connection or battery problem.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi,
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll check for a battery problem first.
I will see whether I can recharge the battery.
Regards,
Lukas

·
Registered
3 Posts
it sure sounds like battery conections to me. the rapid click sound is the solinoid clicking in and out is my best guess. the no spark when hot has nothing to do with battery becuase these coils do not use battery voltage. they are a magneto style(they use a magnet on flywheel to create the spark. not 12v.) if you replaced spark plug and coil the only thing left is a short to ground in the little wire that comes off coil. grounding this wire is how they kill the spark. there is a little control box less than half inch square (if used on this modle not used on all models) that maybe no spark when hot problem. i would fix battery conections and i think your problem will be solved.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi,
That looks an interesting thought!
Is there any way I can "bypass" this grounding issue (safety switches, etc.), just to check whether this is really the problem?
To what should I connect the little wire (that comes off coil) directly to?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts