My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really like our new Honda HRX217HYA mower, but there is one slight irritation with it -- dust collection on the outside of the mower deck. It's amazing how much dust it picks up, presumably because the deck is plastic and the static charge it collects. A friend owns the same series mower, his does the same thing, so he treats his deck with an anti-static spray. This might have been an okay fix, but he says he must do this before EACH mowing! Has anyone come up with a ~good~ solution for this problem? Thanks.

John

·
Premium Member
1,026 Posts
the one at my grandparent house does that to, I always have to tell my aunt to clean it or she will not do it

·
Administrator
7,693 Posts
I can't think of anything that would eliminate a static charge other than anti-static spray. Maybe car wax would help; it might make a protective barrier. :dunno:

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Notice a lot of the mowers we get do that anymore. Test mows make them filthy!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I can't think of anything that would eliminate a static charge other than anti-static spray. Maybe car wax would help; it might make a protective barrier. :dunno:
I've found there are a huge number of anti-static sprays, but I have no clue which is the most effective and which lasts the longest. As you mentioned, some spray waxes are said to have anti-static properties too -- but again, which to get.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Notice a lot of the mowers we get do that anymore. Test mows make them filthy!
In this case, the plastic deck has to be a huge factor in holding a high static charge. If I find a good anti-static coating, I'll post the name here.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I may have found a good answer -- "303 Aerospace Protectant". I've used it for years on cars (vinyl trim, vinyl tops, etc.) and found it to be quite effective. It's designed for outdoor use and holds up very well in the sunlight -- it's very UV resistant. However I only recently noticed that they also say this: "Anti-Static, repels smudges, dust, soiling and staining". It comes in spray jugs, but they also sell containers of wipes. I won't know for sure until the next mowing season, but if it holds up on a mower deck for as long as it does for car applications, I'll be happy.....!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts