My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i picked up a honda hs35 on cl today for 50 bucks. replaced the starter rope in it and what do you know, no spark! otherwise, the engine is gettin g fuel because the plug was wet when i pulled it. do these have points? i was thinking of bypassing them and putting in a nova 2. if someone has the service manual that would be great

·
Premium Member
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
would the retrofit be compatible with it? as far as i know you just rip out the points and condensor and install the module, is that the way i would do it?

·
Premium Member
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i ordered the nova 2, no way im spending 80 on an aftermarket coil. if anyone has a parts machine that would be fine

·
Premium Member
6,109 Posts
If you have a Honda dealer nearby, guve them a call. The HS35 was Honda's first snow thrower, and many parts are obsolete. The dealer just might have one in their bone yard you could pick parts off of.

·
Premium Member
6,109 Posts
Take a look at boats.net. Looks like some of them had points and condensers while others had exciter coils. Check the serial number and compare.

·
Premium Member
6,109 Posts
The points were in the right column of parts while the exciter coill is in the left, and yep, it has been discontinued.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Have you tried pulling the wire off the ignition switch..? That design with 2 off positions always bugged me..seems easier to develop a short inside..My 35 did not have a low oil kill....

·
Premium Member
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
no i didnt try disconnecting the wire, but the guy did decide to "help" me my washing it off with a hose and painting the muffler before dropping it off so i had to smell the fumes of the non automotive paint burning off. maybe he shorted the switch

·
Registered
459 Posts
Honda HS25 came with both point-style and solid-state ignition systems.

Points were standard up through serial # 1048328
Solid state ignition started with serial #1048329

Which one is yours?

I can share some troubleshooting but need to know which style of ignition is fitted to your HS35..

·
Premium Member
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i have the points version, mine does not have the cdi block on the engine shroud. pulled the kill wire and still no spark

·
Registered
459 Posts
From the shop manual / hard start condition:

• Clean or replace spark plug
• Inspect carburetor for flooding condition

For no-spark condition:
• Check breaking points for fouling or pitting
• Confirm engine timing is correct
• Inspect spark plug lead for fraying/damage
• Try new spark plug
• Check ignition coil for open circuit; resistance should measure 6.6Kohms between coil's core and spark plug cap.

• Inspect condenser: Meter should deflect full scale and return slowly, measuring 0.25 uF

• Check engine switch. Continuity when OFF, no continuity when ON

1 - 20 of 21 Posts