My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a new HRX217HYA mower that I purchased from HD online. This is my 2nd HRX - 1st one I purchased from a local Honda dealer and it ran beautifully for 5 years with out one issue until some sheister stole it; mad because it just gave me no problems.

I noticed this new mower sputtered at idle (found an oil air filter) and the idle seemed low, so I took to "Google" to see what was up with this machine. I read that the government regulates the rpm speed of lawnmowers for safety reasons with the blades; they can't be higher than 3600 rpms. So that got me to thinking about this mower. I checked the manual and it states that the maximum governed speed is 3100 +/- 150 rpms, but it doesn't state if that's at idle or when the blade is spinning. So, I decided to get a tach to determine the rpms and found that this mower is actually running at about 2880 rpms at idle (full throttle) and when I engage the blade it drops a few hundred rpms, which seems pretty low when compare to 3600 rpms.

I spoke to one shop about this and they suggested that I tweak the governor spring, so that the rpms rise when I engage the blades; they also stated that it should be up near 3600 rpms when blade is engaged. I saw some videos that state to tweak the governor itself and also state that rpms should be near 3600 - confused.

So, I come to you'll to find out what should be done to get the rpms up and running at factory settings. Is the manual's rpm statement for idle or when the blade is spinning?

Just so you know, I am very mechanically inclined with all sorts of tools.

Note: Unlike my 1st HRX, I see that I will be more hands on with this one when compared to my 1st one. One thing though, she fires right up on the 1st pull. Even with the few issues, I still like the mower, based off my experience with the 1st one.

I thank anyone who may provide me with guidance and enlightenment.

Thanks...Al

Reactions: bwdbrn1

·
Registered
507 Posts
I'd set it at around 3300 RPM. Good enough to cut grass but it'll be a little quieter and save some fuel. I agree that 3100 does seem a little low.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I have a 2014 model. Never messed with the rpms or governor. Mine tackles thick grass with no trouble mulching and leaves a cut as if I were bagging. Though when I bought it, the dealer literally took mine out of the box the moment after I said yes to purchase it. My guess is when they fired her up the 1st time, they adjusted it which explains why it tackles tough jobs with ease and still it's very quiet. It will never replace my JD 14SB and 14SE, but it rivals them well. OHV engines are the way to go, no more side valves for me!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'd set it at around 3300 RPM. Good enough to cut grass but it'll be a little quieter and save some fuel. I agree that 3100 does seem a little low.
Are you referring to idle speed or blade speed?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
6,109 Posts
Since you mentioned that you had bought your first HRX from a dealer, I'd suggest you might consider taking your new one to a Honda dealer to have them check it over and insure that it is set up and adjusted properly. Not saying that HD didn't do that, but I'm a strong supporter of brand specific dealers when it come to out door power equipment, especially for out of the box set up.

Your manual states 3100 rpm as the maximum speed. That, I would think, should be the fastest speed your engine is running under any condition. To adjust it to anything else may void your warranty, and shorten the engine's expected life span. Idle is at the slower end, full throttle is at the upper end of the speed range for your engine.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Definitely find the nearest Honda lawnmower and power equipment dealership near you. They can fix it so everything will work properly. Most John Deere dealers have Deere's, Honda's, and STIHL equipment (except the one closest to where I live because it is out of respect for a fellow small family owned business in town that carries STIHL, my JD dealer only has Deere, Toro, and Polaris products) carry Honda now, so if there is one near you that will work.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Since you mentioned that you had bought your first HRX from a dealer, I'd suggest you might consider taking your new one to a Honda dealer to have them check it over and insure that it is set up and adjusted properly. Not saying that HD didn't do that, but I'm a strong supporter of brand specific dealers when it come to out door power equipment, especially for out of the box set up.

Your manual states 3100 rpm as the maximum speed. That, I would think, should be the fastest speed your engine is running under any condition. To adjust it to anything else may void your warranty, and shorten the engine's expected life span. Idle is at the slower end, full throttle is at the upper end of the speed range for your engine.
Thanks for the response. I wanted to buy from a dealer, but no one had them in stock and one even stated that they were not ordering anymore, which surprised me because they would be ordering it for a customer (me) and not for stock. He obviously was trying to move the electric start units he had in stock. The dealer I got my original Honda never responded to my inquiry, so HD I went.

Btw, I reread the manual and Honda states the higher rpms concern are blade related; they state that the blade could shatter if higher, however, this contrast all that I have read about this matter and discussed with local dealers. It's still widely suggested that blades can handle up to 3600 rpms. So, I deduce that the rpm concern is mainly blade related and not motor warranty related and that Honda is being very conservative on the numbers because of the law. Can anyone confirm this?

Also, I read the manual from my original mower and the blade issue was never mentioned. So, it seems the law must have changed between 2010 (original mower purchase) and now and Honda has specifically placed the blade alert in the manuals. I seriously doubt Honda retooled machinery to make weaker blades because of the law and therefore still produce the same type blades at the same strength as before. Also, in this manual, it references power and torque based on 3600 rpms. So, it would appear that Honda is playing it safe because of the law.

Oh, as far as idle, I am referring to when the blades are not spinning when the lever is on the Rabbit:ThumbUp:.

Just trying to understand what's going on here.

Thanks

·
Administrator
7,693 Posts
Running it at the rated speed will result in longer engine life any way you look at it. Once you start modifying the governor, it can get real dangerous, unless you know what you're about. If the engine gets out of control by accident, the flywheel could explode and it wouldn't be hard to get hurt bad.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Running it at the rated speed will result in longer engine life any way you look at it. Once you start modifying the governor, it can get real dangerous, unless you know what you're about. If the engine gets out of control by accident, the flywheel could explode and it wouldn't be hard to get hurt bad.
Thanks, but my questions still remains. Are you referring to blade spinning rpms or non spinning speed rpms?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
...Your manual states 3100 rpm as the maximum speed. That, I would think, should be the fastest speed your engine is running under any condition. To adjust it to anything else may void your warranty, and shorten the engine's expected life span. Idle is at the slower end, full throttle is at the upper end of the speed range for your engine.
So, the way I am reading this is the max rpms the blade should spin is 3100 rpm (+/- 150). If so, then it's no where near that. This mower has the blade clutch system, so idle to me is when the blade is not spinning, whether in the slow or fast throttle - maybe I'm using the term idle incorrectly.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
6,109 Posts
Idle speed is when the throttle is set at the "turtle", while full throttle is the fastest your engine should be running, and is at the "rabbit" end of the settings on your throttle control.

Perhaps a Honda dealer could explain if the recommended rpm is when the blade is spinning or not.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks^^^. I will talk to the dealer and give Honda a call, too.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts