My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Honda HRX217 rear wheel drive with a GCV190 engine. The motor has never been removed.

There are 4 engine mounting bolts and 1 fell out and another one was loose which allowed the metal shroud to drop down a little and it started hitting the blade, etc...

Anyways, I thought that it would be easy to go to the hardware store for a bolt replacement.

So, I thought that the thread pitch was going to be metric, 8mm x 1.0 but I have triple checked all remaining 3 bolts and they are 5/16 x 24...approx length is 60mm=almost 2.5 inches.

So before I ruin the threads on the motor, I would like to confirm the OEM thread pitch and part#.

Thank You...

Attachments

·
Registered
338 Posts

90102-VE0-000 ENGINE SETTING BOLT = about $0.50 each at boats.net...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

90102-VE0-000 ENGINE SETTING BOLT = about $0.50 each at boats.net...

Thanks for the reply and link...I would like to know the thread pitch on that bolt.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Thanks for the reply and link...I would like to know the thread pitch on that bolt.
If you're really planning to get a hardware store bolt, just take one of your existing bolts along and match it. They'll have thread gauges there. Otherwise, order the genuine Honda bolts and don't fret...

I'll bet they're 5/16-24 (US Standard Pressure Washer Pattern). Here's the GCV190 Engineering Drawing of the mounting pattern:
Font Schematic Auto part Circle Technical drawing

Reactions: laser3kw and Grunt

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will agree with you on the 5/16 x 24...the pitch on the bolts match up exactly with 5/16 x 24. So, what explanation could you offer as to why they are not metric. They are fine thread and 8 x 1.0 is definitely not a match.

Thanks for the pic showing the bolt pattern and the bolt info.

·
Registered
338 Posts
So, what explanation could you offer as to why they are not metric.
Because Honda is conforming to an existing standard for mounting vertical shaft engines on mowers and pressure washers in the US. The bolts are part of the device's kit, not the engine's. Honda is the largest manufacturer of small engines for that market space and wants their engines to be a no-brainer replacement for other engine brands on OPE.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank You...this has been a great learning experience. Thank You for the replies, pics and info.

I replaced the missing engine mounting bolt with a 5/16 x 24 x 2 1/2...yes, it all worked out perfect.

Thank You...2 thumbs up

1 - 7 of 7 Posts