My Lawnmower Forum banner

Honda HRR216K5VKA

17K views 25 replies 8 participants last post by  Five Points 
#1 ·
Best price I have found is $429.00 at Home Depot. Going to buy in March. Can't really see HD lowering their price. Any ideas?

#2 ·
Yeah, I think I would compare as many places around as I could to find the best price which it sounds like you're already done. Check dealers as well (if you haven't already) as sometimes they have different offers etc.

Keep your eyes peeled! ;)

#3 ·
Sounds like you've got your mind made up on one model, but check out Honda's web page to see all of 'em before you decide. (www.hondapowerequipment.com)

Home Depot only sells a few of the Honda mowers, most are on display, but others are special order. Independent dealers usually have all the models, and more times that not, the prices are the same. Both Home Depot and independent dealers pay the same price. If you want to buy a mower on a Sunday afternoon "still in the box," by all means, Home Depot is a great choice. If you prefer to have it fully assembled, tested, and for small fee, delivered to you home, the independent dealer will do all the above plus give you a walk-through to show you all the features, controls, etc.

All Honda residential mowers can be easily assembled by anyone with basic tools. Unfold the handles, snap on the fabric bag to the frame, add fuel and oil (included) READ THE MANUAL, and you're good to go.

Where the dealer can has a bit of an advantage is in the future; when you need a blade sharpened or replaced, or worn out a tire, the dealer will have those parts and will sell and install them for you. Home Depot usually sends mowers out to central repair center and usually only has air filters and spark plugs for service parts in-stock.

Finally, be sure to fill out and mail in the registration card. You get an extra year of warranty for doing this, and it's also very important in case there is a reason (recall, for example) for Honda to contact you in the future. You won't get junk mail, spam, etc. unless you opt IN first.

Either way, it's a quality product; take care of it, and it will last for years to come.

Caveat: I work for Honda, but the preceding was my opinion alone.

#4 ·
Where the dealer can has a bit of an advantage is in the future; when you need a blade sharpened or replaced, or worn out a tire, the dealer will have those parts and will sell and install them for you. Home Depot usually sends mowers out to central repair center and usually only has air filters and spark plugs for service parts in-stock.
Exactly.

#5 ·
Just something to consider...

If everyone bought at the box stores, internet and any other cheap non-servicing outlet they could find and all the small private owned dealers go out of business that depend on sales to supplement their income due in part to the market being flooded with cheap non-repairable goods thus making income return on service less profitable then it used to be, who will do any service then? Not likely the big boys as anything that does not produce a high return for them is dropped like a hot potato. Once it's out their door it is no longer their problem. Then your back to hoping the manufacture can help you. The manufacture will not be able to help you because all of their old stand by private dealers and servicers have retired or moved on in order to feed their families.

Sorry, I don't mean to lecture. But having worked for a small private owned electronics and appliance sales and service shop for the last 25 years which is slowly but surely having the life squeezed out of it by the likes of Best Buy, Home Depot, Menards, HH Greg, Sears, Lowes and the internet it is a bit of a sore spot with me. Most of our business now comes from ticked off customers of the above stores still not willing to spend a penny and waving extended warranty contracts which also on average pay pretty poorly. In fact there was a time we only serviced what we sold for that very reason.

I only wish as a dealer / servicer in a different field we had a fraction of the support from the manufactures we deal with as Robert just provided in his post for their private dealer network. It's not all that uncommon for us to see advertized prices below our cost. :rolleyes:

Again sorry to lecture and rant. It is nothing personal toward anyone in this thread. Just some food for thought from someone on the other side of the counter that I feel the need to unload once in awhile. ;)

Best of luck, enjoy your new Honda wherever you end up getting it Ron. Also we don't turn down any photos of new toys.. errr.... tools either. :)

#6 ·
I'll chime in as well. I don't want to necessarily take away from Home Depot, or any other big box store. We have a member who contributes frequently with some very good and helpful advise from HD. But, by all means, take a look at what the Honda dealer has to offer, if you haven't already done so. If you have, please go back and look again The price you mention is only $50 below the suggested retail. I have seen better deals than that on power equipment at my local Honda dealer, and there is no way to beat the product knowledge the dealer would have. If nothing else, you ay learn more about the product from a person who has worked on them.

#9 ·
Went to local dealer and bought the HRR2167VKA for $399.00. Tried it out there and was impressed. Thanks guys, it does pay to check out local dealers. Advantages were lower price, trying for fit, full tank of gas, and already put together.

#13 ·
Hmmm, sounds like you are a bit disappointed. I'm not familiar with the Smart Drive system on your mower, so I can't comment on the way it is supposed to feel. Were you mulching, bagging or just discharging the grass you were cutting? What height did you have it set at?

#14 · (Edited)
http://www.lawn-mower-guide.com/honda-hrr216k5vka.html
As long as the smart drive works, how hard it is to push without it, is irrelevant, but was surprised at how much effort it took to push it without using the smart drive.
I don't use the bag so I guess I use the Quadracut system. I have the height at next to lowest level.
Good mower, but it is different from my previous Toros. Have to get used to it.

#15 ·
Hondas are good mowers. The Quadra Cut system is two blades, one mounted on top of the other with the cutting edges slightly offset, to cut material up finer. It seems to work well on the mowers I have used with it. I like it on mine. Looking at the manual, the height adjustments range from 1 1/8" at the lowest up to 4" at the highest, and you're right at 2" at your setting. Maybe the bogging won't be as noticeable now that you've mowed with it.

#16 ·
On a flat, smooth surface, with the Smart Drive control released, the mower should roll backwards with minimal effort on all height settings.

If you'll share the frame serial number (on a tag on the back of the mower deck) I can double-check Honda service bulletins.

#18 ·
Ron, that's a HRR217VKA (K7 version). Records indicate it was first put into service on 2/1/12, so the mower is still under factory warranty. Suggest you have a Honda dealer inspect and test. Let me know if you need help locating a dealer in your area.

The dealer should refer to Honda service bulletin (Lawn Mower #94) regarding roll-back effort. With the deck raised all the way up, and on a smooth, level surface, it should take right at 11 lbs or less of effort to steadily pull the mower backwards.

If it takes more than 11 lbs, (1) Confirm there is no tension in the Smart Drive cable at the control arm. R&R the control arm spring if any signs of damage. (2) Clean and inspect the rear adjuster bushings and axle. (3) Adjust the Smart Drive cable.

Confirm with the dealer repairs/adjustments are covered under warranty.

-Robert@Honda

#20 ·
ron815;8665I was just commenting on the effort it took pushing forward without using the Smart Drive. [/QUOTE said:
Gotcha. I would think the Honda should roll forward as easily as a Honda, but maybe not. Maybe the next time you are near a dealer or Home Depot, you might want to find the same model as your Honda and compare roll-foward effort. Just a thought.

#21 ·
Smart Drive

After second time mowing, getting used to it. Can't imagine mowing without the Smart Drive, and wondered about it's history. Are there many cases where it stopped working? Just a little leery, because I had two Personal Pace Toros where the Personal Pace stopped working after a year. Really hope I have better luck with my Honda. Also, any self maintance I can do to keep it in good shape? Thanks.

#22 ·

Attachments

#23 ·
• Inspect and adjust the Smart Drive cable every 25 hours.
• Squirt some silicone spray down the cable jacket once a year.

• I am going to try and attach a 10-page PDF file that covers troubleshooting the Smart Drive transmission in detail. Here's the link:

http://www.mylawnmowerforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=807&stc=1&d=1333981467

Hey Robert,

About 3 weeks ago I purchased a Honda HRR216VKA from a local retailer. Yesterday I went to use the mower for the 3rd time and the smart drive didn't work at all. I haven't had a chance to check the cabling yet on it (going to when I get home from work), but wanted to see if you had any other advice to check out in regards to the smart drive not working.

Thanks for your help!
Jarod

#26 ·
Welcome back ron! Glad you got everything straitened out. As far as double blades.....becareful! I don't know any secrets, just the basics as far as the correct blade angle and make sure you keep them balanced. Maybe someone else here might have a secret or two to share about double blades.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.