My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all - looking for some guidance on whether I'm headed down the right path. My circa 1990's Honda HRM214K4 seems to have developed an oil leak. Oil dripping down the fuel line onto the mower deck, engine covered in oily dirt, you get the idea. So to identify the source of the leak, I cleaned the engine, deck, underside of the fuel tank, etc. thoroughly. Refilled it with oil and ran it for about 5 minutes checking for leaks all the while. Nothing obvious. When I removed the fuel tank to get a better look, the there was a fine sheen of oil on the tank near the flywheel. Can I conclude that the upper crankcase seal is shot? If not, do you have any other suggestions for how to track down the problem?

If it is the upper seal, am I correct that I do not have to remove the engine to replace it? Seems that all I would need to do is remove the flywheel to access the seal. True? Any other tips are greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Marty

·
Premium Member
6,109 Posts
I've never had to replace one of the upper seals, but if that is the source of your leak, you are probably correct about being able to do so by getting at it under the flywheel.

http://peparts.honda.com/powerequipment#/browse/lm/hrm/hrm215/HRM215K4-SXA

You might want to check around the head gasket too. I think a leak at the top of it would probably produce the same kind of evidence you are finding.

·
Premium Member
6,109 Posts
Hadn't thought of that. Good place to start looking. Breather tube is a lot easier to get at and fix too.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. I did check the breather. The tube is tight to the block and isn't cracked. I'll give the head gasket another look.

·
Premium Member
6,109 Posts
I know on some of the HR214s, with the GXV120 engine, the breather tube was just friction fit into the hole in the side of the engine case. I think they did something a bit more substantial on the later GXV140 engines, like your HRM215 has.

The fix for the ones that may have become loose was to apply a touch of heat resistant silicone around the end of the tube and push it back into the engine block.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update. I got the flywheel off and checked the breather again. It all looks fine and clean. The tube is tight to the block. Breather tube is not cracked.

I bought an upper crankcase seal. The one in situ is down about 1/8 inch below the top of the block. Thought I read somewhere that it should be flush. True?

Any tips for installing the new seal withou the special Honda tool.

Thank you for all your help!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Got the old seal off and the one in. The old seal was quite loose, sliding up and down the crank very easily. So fingers crossed this will take care of my leak. However, I buggered up the breather gasket and have to wait a few days to get it before I can verify the fix.

Thanks bwdbrn1 and 43128 for all the help!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts