My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody have any experience with the Honda HRA216 mower?

From what I've found in my research, they were made back around 1988, 1989 and were evidently the predecessor to the current commercial HRC216.

·
Registered
459 Posts
My history books place it about 1986-1987.

Serial numbers MACR-3000001~5000000 were made in Japan (1986).
Serial numbers MACR-5000001~6000000 were made in USA (Swepsonville, NC, 1987)

The GXV160 engine was used on the HR215, HRA216, and HRC216 models. It was also sold as a loose engine to other mower companies, but don't know which one(s).

Scanning through the parts catalog, a few bits are gone forever:
Ignition coil, recoil starter, oil filler tube, fuel gauge, clutch lever, Roto-Stop lever, left side transmission case, some internal transmission bits, shift knob, left front height adjuster panel, etc.

You can get a digital copy of the owner's manual here: http://powerequipment.honda.com/pdf/manuals/31VB5010.pdf

Paper shop manual (eBay) from Honda here: Honda HR216 HRA216 HRC215 HRC216 Lawn Mower Service Repair Shop Manual | eBay

A couple of co-worker have one of these old mowers, and if you have any specific questions about them, I can ask. Don't wait, 'cause a lot of these guys are going to retire soon. :)

·
Premium Member
6,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Robert. Already downloaded the owner's manual to look over and I've been scanning the parts lists and saw that some of the parts are labeled "obsolete"

You know from my other posts that I like the "vintage" Honda mowers. One of the HRA216s has come up for sale not too awfully far from me, and close to my brother's home town. He and I get together every now and then, so I plan to visit the brother and check out the Honda.

Having had experience with HR214s and HR215s, I know what sort of things to expect to have to replace on them. Wonder what have the guys there who have them had to replace, and if they had to say, what are the weak points on them.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts