My Lawnmower Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!

I just registered and this is my first post.

I just picked up my 2nd HR214. The first one I let $$ talk and sold it to make a few. Been regretting it ever since. This one I think I’m keeping. I haven’t given it much of a look yet other than when I was in the middle of buying a repairable snow blower I saw the handlebar and we went over and had a look at this. I think I’m going to give it a fair treatment. Probably not expensive and laborious restoration, but clean it paint it and use it. That leads me to my questions. Can anyone tell me a close color match for both the silver body and the red cover? If you’re going to do it might as well make an effort to do it right. Lastly, if anyone could point me in the direction of a catch bag that won’t break the bank, that would be awesome. I don’t need the side discharge chute necessarily.

Thanks for your time!
Bill

·
Registered
144 Posts
Can anyone tell me a close color match for both the silver body and the red cover?
Honda 08707-R8 RED SPRAY (R8) Honda 08707-R8 - RED SPRAY, CAN (R8) | Boats.net
Lastly, if anyone could point me in the direction of a catch bag that won’t break the bank
That may be harder...
003 81157-VA3-003 FABRIC, GRASS BAG
004 81158-VA3-000 FRAME, BAG
The cheapest one I found is over $80 including shipping... Here's one being auctioned...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
One more question for now. I know if you look at jackssmallengine and similar places it says discontinued. Does anyone make or sell recreations of the Honda HR214 sticker that goes on the flywheel cover?

·
Registered
144 Posts
How do you age these mowers? Just curious roughly how old mine is.
Early 1980s. Contact Honda with your serial number and they can tell you the sold date. Mine is a 1983...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Is the serial number the one right by where the cables all run down into the deck?

Went to the store today and picked up some paint for when it comes time to repaint some of the scratches and rust. While I was there I picked up a new rope. Did some sanding with an air gun for a while. Then I couldn’t take it anymore. I had to see if it would run. Put it all back together with new rope. First few pulls I had the gas shut off in the wrong spot. Then about 3 more pulls and she started. Things are rough and need adjusting which I will be asking about but she ran. Let it run for a while then I was curious how it cut grass. I made 3 shirt passes before it ran out of the old gas it had in it. Cut pretty well!

So for the adjusting. I don’t think the throttle ever actually engaged the choke. It did run on fairly high rpm and when I backed it down the rpm’s came down too. It did not die when I moved it to off though. The drive system seemed to work in both gears when I lifted the back tires off the ground to see if they would even spin. When I set it down, 1st didn’t move, 2nd knocked a few times until in engaged. Then it worked, but I‘m not real sure if I was in 1st or 2nd at that point.

Im just happy it‘s in pretty good shape overall and now I know it runs. Could be better but it runs.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Is the serial number the one right by where the cables all run down into the deck?
Yes, mine is 6273725, but I replaced the deck with a newer one because the original had corroded pretty badly. Teenagers never clean the mower deck out properly!!! I thought I had kept a record of the original serial number, but apparently not.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mine says 6132989. If they went logically in numerical order, mine would be considerably older. I did send them an email asking if they could tell me the rough age for this one and an HRS21 I lucked into this evening (1022286).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
They actually told me my HRS21 was purchased 6/15/85. Couldn’t come up with the original date of sale for my HR214. Said it was probably purchased 1983. I didn’t the the HRS21 would be the newer of the 2 machines.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts