My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I mentioned the Honda electric mower over in another forum, and thought it needed it's own.

This is a fantastic little mower. Poly deck, 17" cut, really light weight. I spent a good part of the day cleaning it up. I took the cover off and was sort of surprised at what I found. So, what brand of electric motor would you expect to find in a Honda mower?

Yep, a Briggs and Stratton. The power switch is a Briggs and Stratton also.

Speaking of the switch, the lever that the operator hangs onto while mowing got broken in shipping. The lever is considered part of the entire switch, and can not be bought separately. Unfortunately the switch is no longer available, using either Honda's part number or Briggs and Stratton's part number.

Here's the broken lever. It still operates, but there isn't much left to hang onto.

I tried glueing it back on with Super Glue gel, but it didn't work. Does anybody have a suggestion for an adhesive that would work on this?

·
Premium Member
6,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe a two part epoxy? You may need to reinforce the mended seam though.
Sort of what I was thinking.

Seems MTD used the same motor, and a similar switch.
Briggs Stratton Vertical Shaft Electric Mower Motor for MTD Push Lawnmower | eBay

It is the closest I've found in searching for a replacement. Close, but different. Honda lists it as NLA, and so does Briggs. I've sent a message to Briggs in hopes of a response that there is a replacement, or it's rebuildable some how.

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
A Briggs and what??

Wow, never would have thought! There must be some history going on there between the two at one point. Maybe Robert knows?

I would say epoxy too for the broken piece.

·
Registered
459 Posts
A Briggs and what??

Wow, never would have thought! There must be some history going on there between the two at one point. Maybe Robert knows?
It is fairly common for manufacturers to share production/marketing projects. Some companies just "private label" mowers, and others a joint-developments. The last lawn tractors Honda sold in the USA were based on a John Deere product, just with a Honda engine and red paint instead of yellow and green.

This old 'lectric was before my time, but I'd guess B&S probably made a similar model and Honda asked them to make one with the Honda name. No doubt Honda engineers changed a few things, but some key parts like the motor were pure B&S, who, as you guys may know, has made electric motors as well as internal combustion engines...

·
Premium Member
6,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
No doubt there's a lot of sharing of knowledge, products and such. The bolt that holds the blade in place is obviously Briggs, it's referred to on the Honda parts list as a special bolt. (It has a 1/2" head while everything else is metric.) I just know it's pretty neat.

And it sure has cleaned up nicely.

Now...to find a nice HR173...my collection of 17 inchers will be complete. It used a lot of the same components at the Electric, but with a G100 gas engine. :cool

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Is the EPA In the model literally for the "Environmental Protection Agency" Or something completely different?

That's a nice machine you have there, And I sure wasn't expecting a Briggs And Stratton Electric motor! That is a strange thing for sure.

As for the handle, I would try simply heating the plastic up and fusing it back together.. That is the best way to fix broken plastic, And If its done right you can never tell it even broke.

For More Infor Google "Plastic Welding"

-Stan :2th:

·
Premium Member
6,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ha, it would seem that's what it means, but it actually breaks down like this.

HR - Honda Rotary
17 - 17" cutting width
E - Electric motor
P - Push model
A - USA market

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
That's awesome! Is that one out of somebody's collection?

·
Premium Member
6,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oohhh, that's beautiful. Nary a scratch under the deck. Hey, I'll trade ya' for that switch on the handle:ThumbUp:

·
Registered
459 Posts
That's awesome! Is that one out of somebody's collection?
Just part of the inventory in our shop here at Honda. We try and keep at least 1 of each model just in case there is a question or issue that creeps up in the future. It's nice just to be able to walk back there and eyeball an older unit / check a part / etc. Parts catalogs and shop manuals are great, but there is no substitute for actually having the real machine.

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
That's pretty neat, it sounds like it would be a museum for the lawnmower enthusiast.

·
Premium Member
6,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just leave me alone in there for an hour or so...

and leave the door open...O.K.?

Oh, that truck outside, I don't know who's that is....:dunno:

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Just part of the inventory in our shop here at Honda. We try and keep at least 1 of each model just in case there is a question or issue that creeps up in the future. It's nice just to be able to walk back there and eyeball an older unit / check a part / etc. Parts catalogs and shop manuals are great, but there is no substitute for actually having the real machine.
That must be quite the thing to see!

If you get the chance, You should snap a photo or two!

I don't think I've ever seen that many Honda's at once :ThumbUp:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts