My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Earlier this year I bought a used HR215 Masters Series mower for my son's new house. I didn't realize it until I brought the mower home that the mulching plug was installed in the machine, which also had mulching blades installed too. I tried the mower at my home with the mulching plug installed and it worked great, and I wished I had a plug for my own HR215 as well. I immediately bought a mulching blade and installed it in my mower because it seems like it gives a better cut, but I wished I had the plug too, which is no longer available from Honda, and on ebay they go for $80+.

Well, I saw a CL ad today for an immaculate HR214 including the mulching plug, so I called and offered $20 for the plug alone, and now it's sitting in my garage. It looks like it has never been used, but I'll be using it a lot starting next Spring.

Attachments

·
Registered
234 Posts
That?s a great deal! I?m relatively new to using old Honda?s (I have an HR215HX) and I wanted to start mulching also. I recently paid $90 on eBay for that plug. Supply and demand I guess? Bottom line is I love being able to mulch now so in the end it was worth it BUT I would have loved to have found one like you did for that price!

·
Registered
459 Posts
Hello [email protected],

Is the 76266-VJ9-010 mulching plug a direct replacement for the original HR214/HR215 76266-VJ9-000?
Thanks in advance for your assistance!
So the -000 and -010 are not the same plug.

The -000 plug fits HR215K1 mowers, while the -010 fits "HRU216" ? models. Really odd, as there is no USA-spec "HRU" model.
On the other hand, if you have both, compare them, and you might be able to see the differences or if either actually fits your mower.

·
Registered
253 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
I was kind of hoping that the -010 was just an updated variant. The seller (in Canada) has it listed as being for "HR215 76266 VJ9 010, 76266 VA3 J60, 76266 VL9 000".
Often, when a number changes from -000 to -010, that usually means a supplier change, a slight change to the specification drawing, material change. etc. In this case, the -010 probably denotes a Canada spec part. That said, I'll bet it would fit/work just fine in your USA mower. I don't think the mowers or mulch plugs were any mechanically different for Canadian-spec mowers vs. USA spec. I know the safety labels are in English & French, and for mowers, that's pretty much the only difference.

If cheap enough, I'd risk it. Not sure what shipping/customs/duty/etc. might be to ship from Canada to USA. Maybe he could send you some detailed photos to compare?

·
Registered
253 Posts
Problem solved! Just purchased a complete New-Old-Stock HONDA MULCH KIT PART #06762-VA3-S00 in original factory package for $20 plus $9 shipping. The seller had three, and as of right now, there's still one left if anyone else needs one.

Attachments

Reactions: Mark / Ohio

·
Registered
253 Posts
Hi [email protected],

Do you have access to Honda Publication Pli51581B as a PDF? That's the instructions for the 06762-VA3-S00 Mulching Kit. Mine is pretty mangled. Thanks!

·
Registered
253 Posts
Hi [email protected],

Do you have access to Honda Publication Pli51581B as a PDF? That's the instructions for the 06762-VA3-S00 Mulching Kit. Mine is pretty mangled. Thanks!
Using a magnifier, it also could be PII51581B. I'm told another alternative document number is PII51480B.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
253 Posts
Another question: When mulching, should the bottom blade be a Medium or High Lift blade?

·
Registered
253 Posts
Using a magnifier, it also could be PII51581B. I'm told another alternative document number is PII51480B.
Thanks again!
Checking....hang on.
Hi Robert, any luck with these two publications?

I see that Honda has a site for accessing various publication documents. Honda Power Products Publications | Log In

I assume that it is for dealers only? Sure would be great to have access to them in the same site as the user manuals and parts diagrams.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Here's an update on obtaining another HR214/215 mulching plug. I saw a CL ad for a running HR214SX for $50, but it needed work. I saw a bag and mulching plug in one of the pics and offered $20 for the plug only, but the seller refused saying he wanted to get rid of the whole mower, so I offered $30 for everything, which the seller agreed to. When I got home and spent some time evaluating the mower, I found that after a few adjustments the engine ran like new - and no smoke whatsoever. This engine now powers an HR214SX which I assembled using the best parts from 4-junk HR214's I've obtained in recent years. This HR214 has a new paint job and looks and runs like new.

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
That looks almost like new. Wanna come help me work on mine? Haha. Is that a motor pulled sand and repaint job? wanted to sand parts of mine and repaint it all. Didn’t want to take the motor off but in order to do it right I pry should. Shouldn't be that hard to take the blade off then like 4 bolts holding engine down. Pry be easier to change the oil that way too.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts