My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All:

I need to replace the clutch/drive cable on my mower...this will be the 4th time I've done it in 2 years. The original cable lasted about 13 yrs. I've made it a point to order only OEM parts.

I'm guessing that I'm not adjusting the tension correctly on the cable. It always seems to snap in the same place. (See attached photo).

My mower info is as follows: Model: Honda Harmony II HRT216KTDA
Serial # MZCG-6381880

Can anyone give any advice as to how I can adjust the cable so I don't have to replace it every year.

Thanks in advance.

Cathy

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
We've got some guys around here that have a lot of experience when it comes to Honda. We even have a resident Honda guy... [email protected]

Someone should pop by soon. I'll page Robert and see if he's available. :)

·
Premium Member
6,110 Posts
I just took a look at the shop manual I have for the HRT216 series of mowers and it says that there should be 1/16 to 3/16" of free play at the clutch lever. Meaning that the top of the clutch lever should move that far before any pull is placed on the clutch cable. To tight and I suppose it could be placing too much stress on the cable end.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Cathy, I saw (and responded) to your posting on the 'other' mower forum.

Just to be sure, you are using a genuine Honda cable, yes? What is the part number?

Also, there's a freeplay adjustment for the lever, but seems odd it might be so out of what as to cause repeated breakage:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts