My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!!

I have a Honda GCV160 engine on my Husqvarna 21" mower. When I choke it to start the mower the engine will run until the choke is shut off and then it dies. I have removed the carb and completely cleaned it- removed main jet and venturi tube, ect. What the heck am I missing here? Any suggestions would be appreciated-Thanks!!

Chris

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
If you are absolutely sure the carb is clean with no debris in the jets, then you may want to check for a loose installation like the mounting bolts and around the carb insulator. Did you remove the pilot screw with the tamper cap? If so, did you replace it and set it correctly?
You should turn the pilot screw in until it is lightly seated and then @1 turn out. Run it till its warmed up and then turn the screw in or out until it produces the highest RPM. The manual tells you to put some loc-tite on the tamper cap and install it so the pilot screw will not back out from vibration.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
All bolts tight and gaskets in correctly and My carb does not have the pilot screw with the tamper cap

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
Did you check for any play around the throttle and choke shafts? They will wear and suck air after time.

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
Before I forget the simple stuff, Is the air cleaner clean? Is the fuel filter clean, if it has one? Is there any kinks in the fuel line? Is the the fuel tank clean? And of course, does it have fresh gas?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Honda

I just recently experienced the same problem you have with the same engine. The advice I received here got me going in no time. Here is what I did: dis-assemble the carb, clean all parts with gas and then compressed air. Then make sure all surfaces where gaskets meet metal are scraped clean. Lastly, rebuild with all new gaskets (insulator to block gasket too). I did this and the engine now runs like new. Apparently the carb was sucking a bit of air through one of the gaskets. Good luck!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts