My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of a way to tighten the timing belt without pulling the engine and flywheel on a honda 3813 riding lawn mower. I know to tighten the belt you loosen the water pump and move it, but the bolts for doing that seem to be under the flywheel.

·
Premium Member
6,109 Posts
Don't have an answer for you myself, but hopefully someone who does will be along shortly.

Sure would like to hear how to do it myself, and maybe see some pictures of the set up and how it's done. (hint, hint)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the support bwd. I am going to try a few things tonight i will let you know how i come out.

Has anyone ever set the time by using the T mark on the flywheel. I am also going to try that, i found a mark just to the lower right of the water pump, triangle shaped just like the one on the block i think is the line up mark. I have been setting it to top dead center and i think that is not right. I will find all this out if i would quit being lazy and pull the engine.

Thanks in advance for any input.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So far i have not figured out how to adjust the timing belt tension without pulling the engine. I did time it with the mark on the flywheel instead of top dead center and it ran much better. The carburetor is the problem it is flooding i have been through it no less than 4 times i dont see a problem. It was a little sluggish to crank i thought the timing was off . I installed a fuel cut off valve in the line and now it fires right up with the fuel off just with whats in the carb but after its been running for a while it surges and ever so often a puff of black smoke comes out the exhaust. I think i may have to buy a new carburetor.

·
Registered
459 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts