My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have approx. 40 customers(most bi-weekly cuts)
Properties are mainly small in size (1/2 hr mowing and 15 min. trimming)

Wondering if I should opt for one commercial mower or 2-3 homeowner mowers.
For the price of one commercial mower I could buy 2 (or 3) homeowner models.

The homeowner models could be swapped in and out of service, where the commercial would never get a break.

What's the best option?
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
1,329 Posts
Thats a GOOD question, I think it would take a professional or semi professional lawn care giver to give a good answer.
Here at home I mow about a acre, I use a 62 inch cut,JD for the most of the mowing, also a 54 inch jd,and a 48 inch craftsman for the close work. I have a varity but I dont mow professionally.
Im thinking that if you are doing smaller jobs and you dont have to hurry and abuse your equipment,two or three of the smaller pieces will maybe do real well and with less investment.
Im interrested in what the pro's think.:2th:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,898 Posts
I'm no professional just a regular homeowner but I do maintain 20 acres, @5 of which I mow and I opted for a commercial zero to save time and because they are made to a higher standard than than the residential models. I have used residential for years prior to that and I always found myself making repairs such as re-welding deck brackets and repairing steering linkages simply due to having a "multi terrained" yard. (I just made that term up) I know we have a couple of commercial guys here who have been down that road and I'm sure they will jump in here shortly.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
7,359 Posts
I would go the commercial route.

Typically, a reputable manufacture's commercial line will have been designed to be worked on a daily basis as described around your intentions. With the proper maintenance performed as recommended by the manufacture, they are designed to be used this way.

Also, the more machines that you have, the more maintenance, time and cost will be involved to keep them all in tune.

It is always good to have a back up, but having one or two strong machines in my opinion is a lot more cost and time effective in the long run than having multiple lower grade machines that are constantly being switched out. Not too mention, they will have a more difficult time holding up to the demands of constantly being transported around too vs a commercial grade machine.

My .$02c.
 

·
Ret. Moderator
Joined
·
498 Posts
It depends on the lawns .... if you are doing 40 lawns I would get a commercial walk behind mower larger than 21 inches . I do around 60 lawns weekly and 99% of my yards I can use a 48'' mower . The other 1% I use a non commercial push mower because I do not feal it is worth the expense. My commercial 21'' are for collecting not using. If you are using a small mower on all of them , go for the commercial.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
6,228 Posts
Seems like you about have to go commercial grade anymore to get what used to be closer to a homeowner grade on small mowers and tools. :rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
226 Posts
I mow a few small lawns. My best mower is a 21" Sears big wheel walk behind. I have two big Murray 46" riders and a 22" self propelled Craftsman mulcher. When I can find a good 36" commercial walk behind, I'm getting it. I also have a 9HP ancient Craftsman chipper. The chipper is the real money maker. It's amazing what I can do with it. I have a ton of options if I have a breakdown, but I'd really like a real heavy duty walk behind.
 

·
Ret. Moderator
Joined
·
498 Posts
Commercials are made for heavy use .. they can easily work like that with no break time and proper maintainance . The best place to buy a USED one would be craigslist ... but one thing to keep in mind ... do any of your lawns have chainlink fence/gate ... your 36 won't fit through ... look for a 34 I beleive cub cadet , snapper and gravely make one and some small non commercial companies.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks for all the input guys...
most of my properties are gated backyards so deck size is a concern...
I think i would be fine with a 22in max....
Now is it possible to get a decent/reliable commercial mower for around $600?
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top