My Lawnmower Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 100ft gravel driveway that's getting pretty worn down. Does anyone have some detailed plans for a single width grader?

·
Registered
650 Posts
not sure if this will help but when I worked on a farm as a kid, the farmer would drag a 6-8 inch I beam along some of the roads to level them out,,, I know they used the farm tractors so maybe you could come up with something along the same lines

·
Administrator
6,224 Posts
On a packed down lane you'd need some weight (I-Beam could be pretty heavy depending in thickness) or strong down force from hydraulics to break through the compacted soil and rock from the tires. I don't know if a riding mower would have enough traction to do very well at that or not. On the farm my grandfather would just shovel a layer of gravel into the tire ruts and I would pack it down some with the rider tires and then we let the cars and trucks do the rest. I never tried plowing or grading it as it was almost like cement being heavy clay soil and the largest rider we had was something like an 8 hp Dayton branded MTD.

Neighbor that farmed for them had a 1950's era John Deere two cylinder but I don't recall he had a 3 point blade for it. Still remember vividly the time he pulled out a row of old hedge apple along the road for us. That made the old Deere huff and puff and dig ruts over a foot deep in the pasture. :tango_face_smile_bi

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
maybe I'll just set my snowblower all the way down this year and blow all the high spots into the neighbors yard.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 100ft gravel driveway that's getting pretty worn down. Does anyone have some detailed plans for a single width grader?
Don't grade your driveway out flat. If you get an I beam or something like that, angle it so you pull the gravel towards the middle of the driveway. You want a crown on a road so it sheds water. If you don't do that, you end up with potholes. I'm not saying you wont get potholes with a crowned gravel or clay road, but it slows down the deterioration A LOT. If you only have drainage on one side of the road, pull the gravel towards the high side. If you have a good grade on it and you're just trying to smooth it out, dragging a piece of chain link works and works better with some weight on it. Good drainage is key, though. Doesn't matter if it's concrete, pavement, gravel, or dirt.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts