My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
583 Posts
We haven't had any snow yet, but the wind chill according to weather.com is 6 degrees right now! I'm not used to the cold yet so it seems almost unbearable to go outside in this weather. I can't wait till it snows; there's snow on the forecast for the next couple days, but I dout it will amount to anything much.

·
1,329 Posts
No snow yet, but the cold and wind is making up for lack of snow.I had a box of pop can's by my garage, they are scattered down past my house and about 600 feet on to the back ditch line behind my house.
There is a cemetery across the street from me, My back lot and ditch is very brightly decorated with plastic flowers.:D
Oh well, It might get to 30 tomorrow. I dont complain,the month's fly by now so I try to make the best of what I'm given.
I am ready to push some snow .:)

·
Administrator
6,234 Posts
About 3 inches here on the ground with a lot of blowing a drifting today. Wonderful day to get broke down along the road in the county with no heat. My heat was running out on the ground. :rolleyes:

I was fully dressed for the cold but still was froze by the time I got home an hour later. Either water pump or hose or a combination. Too cold to lay on the snow covered ground in open country with a flash light looking for too long. At least with the help of an uncle bringing me my last partial jug of anitfreeze from home I got it back 2-3 mile on the parking lot at work and off the roadside without cranking the temp into the red. (One thing I love about gauges instead of idiot lights. At least you have a chance to see the problem coming before its too late and can see how far your really pushing your luck to keep going.) Surprising how fast a 305 V8 warms up in 11F with only a gallon of antifreeze leaking out the bottom as you go. :D

·
Premium Member
6,113 Posts
Amazing how stuff never breaks when the temperatures are in the 70's, isn't it!

We only got a dusting of snow here, the wind blew pretty good during the night Saturday and throughout the morning Sunday, but settled down in the afternoon. The drive and walk were drifted in some areas, and bare in others. The way I look at it, if it's going to be cold, I want snow!

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
We got snow here three weeks ago, about 3.5" worth. It was really really cold during that week so it froze over and stuck around for a while. I was watching the news at 10:00 the first night we got snow, and the freeways still had bumper to bumper traffic, it was insane! I felt kind of bad for those who were still in their cars that late at night comming home from work and hoped they had enough gas to get home.

·
Registered
23 Posts
snowing right now here in central NY. Snowed yesterday, day before, etc. Snows prett much every day of the year here. Well, except for maybe that one odd day last August.
But seriously; we're down wind from the fingerlakes and lake Ontario so we get that "lake effect" stuff all the time. Lucky so far, only about 3" here as opposed to 36" in Buffalo. Got my plow out just once so far. Moved my neighbors sidewalk pavers several feet to the left. OPPS!! Gotta mark that walk for next time :)

·
Administrator
6,234 Posts
We are in the 1-2" snow forecast but warnings for 2-4" are out for counties only 20 miles to my South. They are saying the freezing rain will stay South of the Ohio river. Still too close to call in my book. Takes only a small change in storm track to really shake things up with these winter systems around here. But that is what I like about our winters. Lots of weather to watch and be out in but rare to have dangerous lighting or tornadoes to deal with. :cool:

Amazing how stuff never breaks when the temperatures are in the 70's, isn't it! ...
Yep, never a nice convenient time. The last issue was a ruptured rear brake line while returning home in Feb 2009 @ 11pm from admitting my mother to the hospital 4o miles away. I did manage to cripple it home on the front and e-brake that time. Turns out the stupid GM snap in connector on the heater hose was the only culprit this time. I'm now holding my breath the rapid change from extreme cold to running hot did not break loose the seal on the intake gasket. Gonna have to keep an extra eye on the oil and coolant level for awhile. Took two tries and $700 (second time was a freebie and part of that was also for a replacement water pump, actually had coolant leaking 3 places that time once I got to looking closer) to get that licked in 2004. I still kid the mechanic about that when I talk to him. Like he would quickly forget having to take off the top end of the engine a second time for free. ;) I'm a GM guy to heart but like all manufactures they have a plenty of idiotic Achilles design points all in the name of saving a penny. :rolleyes:

·
Founding Administrator
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
77 here yesterday....Cold front coming today predicting 52 !! :rolleyes:
If you throw in the wind chill, you'd probably be down around 49 or 50, huh? You poor guys don't know what a good blizzard and laying under a truck beating on frozen brakes will do for your character!

·
Administrator
6,234 Posts
We picked up another 4" of snow today but very little wind and the temp got up to a balmy 25F. The snow came a little farther North then predicted. Actually felt on the warm side compared to a few days ago once the sun came back out along with a beautiful winter blue sky. I was walking around without an extra sweater under my coat and my coat unzipped while it was still snowing. :D

Next chance of snow is not until next Tuesday and temps are to average out in the low to mid teens at night and mid to upper 20's during the day through next week. That's about 10F below the normal for this time of year. Really has not been all that bad so far to me. Temps are cold but they have also been fairly stable. The temperature swings from warm (40-50F) to bitter cold (10F or less) and back are what really give me a rough way to go. Sun out with clear blue sky and temps 25-35F during the winter is my happy zone. ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts