My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a back pack blower that calls for 89 octane and a lawn boy mower. I was wondering if high test would be good to use. The gas in the east all have 10% ethanol. Both are 2 cycle engines

·
Premium Member
1,026 Posts
i use the same as capstan except my local stations have ethanol so i make it in small 1 gallon batches so i dont keep it for long

·
Administrator
7,693 Posts
I think you should be fine running 89 octane with your choice of oil in both. :2cents:

Hey Stan, I also use Echo Powerblend, but it's a semi-synthetic, not full synthetic. Are you talking about the new Echo Red Armor stuff that's they started selling when they merged with Shindaiwa? I know that's a full synthetic, and I was actually going to try it out. :2th:

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
I think you should be fine running 89 octane with your choice of oil in both. :2cents:

Hey Stan, I also use Echo Powerblend, but it's a semi-synthetic, not full synthetic. Are you talking about the new Echo Red Armor stuff that's they started selling when they merged with Shindaiwa? I know that's a full synthetic, and I was actually going to try it out. :2th:
Ahh.. Yes, I'm mistaken.. Powerblend is Synth Blend.. Just picked up 3 bottles of it today.. It's the best oil I've ever used..

I've honestly never tried that red armor stuff.. But I ran out of Powerblend the other day and used some Homelite stuff I had laying around.. Boy, When echo says Smokeless.. They mean smokeless.. That homelite stuff smoked out the neighborhood.

-Stan

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
Octane

Hi Guys! No advantage or disadvantage to using a higher octane fuel unless it is the only way to get ethanol free. We still have some stations (BP) that offer ethanol free but not in all grades so sometimes I end up with 91 octane ethanol free and sometimes I get to the station that has both 87 and 91 octane ethanol free so I get the 87. Lawnmowers are low compression compared to an automobile so no reason to use the higher octane unless as stated above. Bill

·
Registered
91 Posts
It is more important to source ethanol-free fuel. The Octane rating just won't make any difference in a 2-cycle engine such as Lawnboy. Whatever Octane you can get ethanol-free is what you should use, if at all possible.

·
Registered
7 Posts
While some higher compression 2 stroke and larger displacement engines benefit in ease of starting and detonation from high combustion temps, most smaller engine manu's such as Echo and Stihl recommend 89 or higher, purely for additive features and exhaust cleanliness to help see them through for the duration of the warranty period, nothing else. This came straight from a factory Echo rep I spoke with several years ago.

·
Banned
47 Posts
Lawn Boy mowers only use 87, regular unleaded gasoline. Look in any lawn Boy owners or service manual. A lawn mower is a Tool, not a race car.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Lawn Boy mowers only use 87, regular unleaded gasoline. Look in any lawn Boy owners or service manual. A lawn mower is a Tool, not a race car.
Yes, LawnBoy says use 87, however there is ABSOLUTELY no technical reason you can't use 91. It will do no harm, the engine will run just as good, and it would be better to use 91, if that is ethanol-free.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts