My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Few years ago I bought a Honda H3011 riding lawn mower from my boss. I used it 2 times on my lawn. Then one week my neighbors went on vacation so out of the kindness of my heart I cut their lawn. No fooling I went over the last square yard of grass and it just stopped cutting and died. I had to push it home. Good thing it's light and very easy to push. Well I saw part of a belt sticking out from below and figured that was the problem. Being a, guess you'd say a "city boy" I had no idea how to fix a belt. I was actually intimidated by it. So much so that it sat for 2 years while I cut the grass with a push mower (not even self propelled). I was so scared of it that I had even contemplated about calling in my brother in law from MI where they are rural-farmer kind of people and they probably done belt jobs in the 3rd grade.

Well the 3rd summer of sitting there was coming up fast and I finally got up the balls to attempt it. I tried to search Google for a tutorial but I came up dry. There was a couple of belt help pages but without being my mower it was really no help. I was forced to use the manual which was written in what seemed like a foreign language as far as I was concerned. Black and white line drawings so far zoomed in that I had no idea what I was looking at or which direction I was facing.

Well one weekend I dug into it. I couldn't cut the grass by hand any longer. Total job took a day and a half and I took a zillion pictures so I could put it all back together. I had the belts from Boats.net ready to go. I dropped the deck and pulled it out cleaned it all off with the hose and sharpened the blade. With no idea on how the belt went on I spent the whole afternoon before finding out I had to remove just about everything from the deck to snake it around. But when I got it all together I was so proud of myself and that first trip around the yard after push mowing so long was fantastic.

About 30 mins into my maiden voyage I engaged the blade to quickly and the belt came off the pully. I was like NOOO! Well this time I had the belt back in less than an hour.

Since then I have changed engine oil and transmission oil. It needs a new battery from sitting for two years not charged. For now I charge it up and it lasts long enough to get the grass cut. I will never go without a rider even again.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,109 Posts
Hi, and welcome to MLF. glad to have you join us.

Thanks for sharing the photos of your Honda. That's one of the finests riders they ever offeed here, and it's a shame they don't anymore.

Yes, that first venture into mower repair can be daunting! But, you took the bull by the horns, got it done, and have felt more confident to do more. Yep, you do deserve to give yourself a good ol' pat on the back!

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
What a neat story and thanks for being so candid. You would be surprised how many projects sit unattended for just the same reasons. Maybe this will inspire that guy or gal out there to stop procrastinating and give it a go!
Welcome to MLF and we look forward to seeing you around the place. :2th:

·
Registered
650 Posts
welcome to the site and yes any mower can be somewhat challenging if you never did anything like that before...I started working on mowers at about 6 years old being dad wouldn't work on them and of course I had very little money at 6 so I just dove in to a mower or two that were scheduled for the junk, took parts from one put them on another so I learned basically by trial and error.

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
What a wonderful and successful story! :ThumbUp: I enjoyed the read. It is very inspiring and shows that you can overcome your fears and doubts. You should be proud! Excellent work.

Welcome to MLF and be sure to stick around! Post up questions anytime.

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Welcome! Glad you tackled the job!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts