My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
http://frederick.craigslist.org/grd/4994997344.html

Thoughts on this one? Again I need to remind you that I'm not familiar with zero turn equipment.
I contacted the owner. He says he used it on his farm only. Has 1400 hours on it and he has manuals and some service records. He says it's a 2000 something mdl. I think it's a fair deal but my Pastor says that's a boatload of hours. I have no idea. I'm just going by some of these zero turns mowing all summer long commercially. Let's say 6 months @30 hrs/week, which probably is a low estimate. That would come to 120 hrs/month x 6 months that would be 720 hours/year. Am I way off here? How long does a commercial machine last?
Bob Cat Zero turn
I appreciate any and all information.
Is 1400 a lot of hours for a zero turn?

·
Registered
79 Posts
My Woods 6210 with a Kawsaki FD620 D which I bought in 1996 to mow three acres around my home has only 760 hours of run time. I also blow snow with it but that is not a weekly affair. Some winters I never used it. I would say may 60 hours is blowing snow.

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
I tend to base a machine's condition and maintenance history as the primary factors over hours. Hours, yes are absolutely a very big piece of the puzzle for assessing any machine's condition, but I think the most influential factors are how it was used, maintained and what condition it is presently in. I've seen too many machines that have "low hours" that are completely used up compared to others that have quadruple and have chapters of life ahead of them.

As it has already been said, hours are high so I would want to see some service/maintenance records on it. How many owners? This is especially important because while the present owner didn't use it commercially, it very well could have prior to their ownership. They state it was used around the farm. Have them show you the particular areas where it was used. That is okay to do. If the areas don't look very big and they have had it since new, then something does add up. If it was used in a rocky field where a full sized tractor with a brush hog would be used, then that's your answer to leave. Was it always stored in doors? Check out the condition in person if your serious and see what state it is in. As I've mentioned in the past, there's nothing wrong with taking any pre-owned machine your serious about to a shop to have it assessed professionally just like you'd do with a used car. If all checks out, use the high hours as a bargaining chip.

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Going to pass. After considering several factors and text messages from him I will look further. I really don't need this big/heavy machine.
Thanks all.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts