My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I am a grass mowing maniac. The sun on my face, the smell of the grass on the breeze... I hope to be able to help you people, as much as I take help.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
My Dilema

So here's my problem. I have a John Deere STX38, that I have replaced the motor on. It now has a Kohler Commander 16HP motor. I had to replace the starter solenoid at that time as well to make it work. It ran very well all last year, after that, but when I tried to start it after spring maintenance nothing. I installed the battery that I had bought the previous year, and had put on the charger of the winter. I checked the plug, and changed the filters, changed the oil, etc... On the very first key turn it tried to crank a bit, then not again. All I get now when I turn the key is the clicking at the carb, and the click of the solenoid, under the seat. I get strong 12 V on the input to the solenoid, and 12V on the output when key is turned. I also get 12V at the starter. I have a constant (even when no key turned) 12V on all three pins of the three pronged thing on the side of the flywheel shroud (regulator?). The thing is, this is very similar to the symptoms of last year's solenoid failure. Could this be another failed solenoid? If so what could be causing them to fail?

Thanks a LOT! -Jeff

·
Registered
507 Posts
Welcome to the board! Do you know someone with a Kohler Command(CV16-up) that would let you borrow their starter to rule that out? Or a junkyard somewhere to get one cheap so if thats not it, it doesn't hurt the wallet as much? The clicking at the carb is the fuel shutoff solenoid in the bottom of the bowl of the carb. If your getting 12V at the starter, its really sounding like the starter is bad.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I tried a starter pulled from a slightlty different Kohler model. I think they might even be the same starter. If they are similar enough, should that be enough to rule out the starter?

·
Registered
507 Posts
Couldn't hurt to try...I would, if the starter hooks up the same and the holes line up and the gear engages the flywheel at the right time it might be worth it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts