My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I need help with my Snapper 28" riding mower. When I am mowing and engage the blades, it will run for 1-2 minutes and quit on me. It will start right back up and do the same thing. If I do not engage the blades it runs fine and does not quit. I have been able to disengage the blades before it tries to quit on me and then the engine does not quit. Any ideas??

·
Premium Member
583 Posts
Another question, does your mower have an electronic clutch. If so, check if the battery has full power.

·
Registered
10 Posts
It sounds like it might be running out of fuel when under a full load. I would check the fuel filter Its at least an easy place to start looking

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I checked the fuel tank vent and replaced the fuel filter. It still quits. Any other idea's? Also is there a blade switch that could be the problem?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi deck99

I still think it sounds like a fuel problem just for the fact that you say it will run for a minute or two before stalling. I would think the Carburetor is the next step. What model of engine is on your snapper?

·
Premium Member
583 Posts
It does almost appear to have something to do with the blade switch, but give dgkteck's idea a try and get back to us with the resolts. I hope you can find the problem.

·
Registered
10 Posts
You might try to give it a little bit of choke just when it is starting to stall this will rich up the mixture. If that keeps it alive you will have a good indication that it is a fuel problem

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had a similar problem with my Snapper rider and a buddy of mine helped me fix it... We pulled the air filter off, revved up the motor and then he put his hand over the carb to almost stall it out and then removed it; did that a few times and it seemed to take care of the problem, at least this past summer.

He said some 'crap' could have been inside the carb and almost choking it out forces the crap to be pulled through the carb and removed... Sounded kind of strange to me, because I was thinking it was electrical, but it's been fine all summer long... It's easy enough and cheap enough to try... Good luck!

·
Registered
10 Posts
If choking the engine did not have any effect You just might have a problem with that deck switch. I believe you can test it with an ohm meter to make sure it is opening and closing If i remeber right there is also an interlock modal in that circuit. You can isolate the engine away from all of that by disconnecting the kill wire that goes to the coil to test Keep in mind if you do that you wont be able to shut it down with the key switch so be prepared to short the plug wire lead to ground to kill the motor

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Sounds like rough idler pulley bearing or quill bearing. After it runs a few minutes the bearing is seizing. Usually the belt is shreded. Do you smell rubber just before the engine dies.

·
Registered
13 Posts
You may have tried this already however snapper used an interlock on their riders that looks like a small round puck like thing on its end with an attachment tang. Most always when what you are describing happens it is this interlock that shuts the engine down after a short while with the blade engaged. Could be other things but as suggested disconnect the mag kill and if it works it is the interlock or the deck switch but most likely the interlock, if it were the deck switch it would die immediately when engaging the blade. Also make sure the area under the interlock tang is clean and bright with some emory cloth because if it looses ground there it will not work.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi Everyone,

I need help with my Snapper 28" riding mower. When I am mowing and engage the blades, it will run for 1-2 minutes and quit on me. It will start right back up and do the same thing. If I do not engage the blades it runs fine and does not quit. I have been able to disengage the blades before it tries to quit on me and then the engine does not quit. Any ideas??
Hey deck99.

If I understand this right, the engine runs fine until you engage the blades for a few minutes. It will drive the mower at any speed just fine until you engage the blades for a few minutes.

+1 tagpopshed.

Seems to me the issue is related to blade engagement.
If the deck switch was bad, there would be no wait time for failure.
If anything engine related was the culprit, then it would not run just fine as long as you did not engage the blades.
While blade engagement and mowing does put the most load on the engine, if all is well for a minute or two there has not been enough time for the engine to overheat.

I am not familiar with the interlock that dragline mentioned. Obviously that is a possibility.

My thinking is that either the idler pulley or the spindle bearings are seizing up.
This does take a little while which explains the delay for failure.
Idler pulleys are easily replaced and I would think yours would be screaming like a banshee if seized so badly as to kill the engine.
The drive belt should be fried as well.
Spindle bearings are a little more work, but if you need to you can buy the whole spindle assembly.
In any event, it's an easy diagnosis to pop off the belt and check the bearings.

I hope this helps,
HDNewf

·
Registered
15 Posts
Many if not most carburetors have a load sensor for lack of a better word. This part moves in response to a vacuum drop which happens when you engage the blade among other things.
This is not directly connected to your throttle.
It usually has and adjustment screw to limit travel. Try backing off on that 1/4 turn at a time.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts