My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to change the belt on my toro 22197. I'm assuming that I must remove the crankshaft protector to get to the belt. The pblm I have is that the retainer blade is keeping the crankshaft protector from dropping down and I don't know how to get the retainer blade off. The retainer is part #52-2170-03. Any help?

·
Administrator
6,228 Posts
Welcome to the forum! :welcome:
Looking at an exploded view for that model sure looks like they have made changing the belt more complicated compared to my 20043 from 1999.

Any chance the protector will drop down just enough to get the belt worked out from under it? The blade retainer is pressed on with a key. The blade bolt is mainly what holds it in place and the key keeps it from turning on the shaft. If tapping while prying on it don't loosen it you'll probably have to rig up some sort of a puller to get it loose.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I released the protector but it doesn't allow me room to get the belt by because of the retainer. I tried getting the retainer off but I can't seem to get it to budge. I wasn't sure if something was securing it or I just needed to use more force. Thanks for any help.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts