My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got this 30" Craftsman 13.5hp Hydrostatic transmission that needs a new motion drive belt. I've got the new belt and I looked in the owner's guide on to change it and it looks pretty involved. Has anyone here done it and know of any shortcuts that work? It says I got to raise it up take both rear wheels off and loosen the transmission and also remove the entire deck. What kinda time should it take? Is there going to be a lot of playing with adjustments after installing or is it pretty much done when you replace it?

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Hello , it is involved in any machine! It takes time, we just did one for neighbor that got over their heads, took two long days as they removed even the rear fender for no reason!! We could help more with model number to look up manual!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's a model 536.270321 it doesn't really have fenders. It has specific instructions in the operator's manual I printed out on how to replace the belt. But I was wondering if it's actually necessary to do all the steps to cut the time to put it on.

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Sorry, meant the people we did it for removed stupid stuff that made us more work to finish! :) Do what it says, meant as easiest way most times. Some common sense when doing work, you might find short cut!?

·
Premium Member
6,109 Posts
One thing I've learned in working on the mowers I have is that the manuals were written by folks who had their hands on the machine long before I did, so I tend to trust what they put in the manual as being the correct way to do the job at hand. Another thing I've learned is that when doing something for the first time, it usually takes a bit longer than I might think, but, I have the advantage of experience the next time I do something.

If somebody here has done the belt change, and they know of some tricks of the trade, hopefully they'll step up and share them with the group. We hope you do the same as you tackle the job too.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I finally removed and installed the drive belt on my Craftsman 2001 13.5HP 30" rear engine rider. I followed the instructions in the owner's manual and it worked out just right. No real surprises. You just have to tilt the transmission forward enough to slip the belt of the rear of the transmission. I got everything on and installed in about 2 hours. It worked good too, that seems to be what was causing it not to move.

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
AWESOME!!! Glad you got it done!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts