My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been using my grandparents old mower for a year or two now. I believe it's a lawnboy, it's red, and basically every sticker and label are long gone.

The problem is that I lost the drive belt for the blade a week ago and can't for the life of me get a new one to fit correctly. I've attached a couple of pics, one with the blade handle set to engage, and one with it dis-engaged. As you see, when set to engage, the belt doesn't clear part of the idler wheels attachment. While it does just barely clear when set to disengage. Any ideas would be much appreciated, the leaves are starting to fall which means the wife is reminding me a lot more frequently!

sorry about the large pics...

Attachments

·
Founding Administrator
1,256 Posts
OK, one thing for sure is that this isn't a Lawnboy. Wrong color! Can you get a picture of the machine farther back so we can see the whole deck? My thought is that there is an adjustment on the idler pulley to let you loosen it up a bit.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
as for the adjustment for the spring, it's set to the loosest setting on the handle adjustment (1 of 3).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Maybe when the belt is hooked up to the drive pulley on the engine the spring tension will hold the idler pulley away from the bracket?
I tried that... about wrecked my new belt from it rubbing on that black edge so hard. I wonder if someone else adjusted it wrong in the past, since I've owned it the belt was always on the loose side, often times slipping in areas that were a little thick/damp.

edit: will get a pic of the mower itself, I'm sure someone will know what brand it is :)

·
Administrator
6,234 Posts
Kind of looks like the small Toro my neighbor had 20 years ago. Any numbers on the frame that might give a clue?

With model # we might be abe to search out a belt routing diagram if we get lucky. ;)

·
Premium Member
6,113 Posts
I agree with Mark, it looks like a Toro. I'd suggest looking at the labels that are still on the mower again. There just might be a brand name somewhere on one of them. Then I'd suggest stopping by a local dealer and talking with them. Can I ask, how did you come up with the replacement belt? Could it be the belt is completely wrong for your application?

·
Registered
88 Posts
I agree with Mark, it looks like a Toro. I'd suggest looking at the labels that are still on the mower again. There just might be a brand name somewhere on one of them. Then I'd suggest stopping by a local dealer and talking with them. Can I ask, how did you come up with the replacement belt? Could it be the belt is completely wrong for your application?
I agree with 2 points here..... I'm no expert but my first reaction was "that's a Toro". AND..... are you sure it's the right belt? One pic you posted looked like there was a pulley missing because there was soooo much extra belt. Look for clues and try to find the correct belt.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've checked all over for labels, but will do so again..
As for the belt, I took the old belt with to the hardware store, measured it end to end and bought the same length.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
One pic you posted looked like there was a pulley missing because there was soooo much extra belt. Look for clues and try to find the correct belt.
Of course theres extra belt when I've got the deck apart from the mower trying to figure out how it should be routed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok, found out that it was a Noma mower, went under the Murray brand. Model number is 36010101. I emailed parts and service.com for a manual... hopefully they reply!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts