My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello...just wanted to say hi. I'm a home owner, family man for almost 30 years and electrical engineer with NASA for almost 30 years. Bought a Honda 3011, used, for $30 about 5 years ago. Very happy with it. I'm glad to have found this forum and look forward to sharing technical info.

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Welcome!

·
Premium Member
6,110 Posts
Welcome to the family. We'll look forward to seeing you around. A 3011 for $30! That's a heck of a deal for sure!

·
Registered
459 Posts
Hello...just wanted to say hi. I'm a home owner, family man for almost 30 years and electrical engineer with NASA for almost 30 years. Bought a Honda 3011, used, for $30 about 5 years ago. Very happy with it. I'm glad to have found this forum and look forward to sharing technical info.
Awesome. Do you have the gear or hydro trans.?

The H3011 is one neat machine. Mid-engine, and you can tell some auto-trained engineers designed it.

·
Administrator
6,228 Posts
Welcome! :welcome:

There are times we could use an electrical engineer around here to bounce ideas around. :cool

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi I am also a Honda H3011 owner, I've had it for about 12 years now. I've had starting issues which resulted in my tearing the whole thing apart to check the starter buried under a lot of parts. I just changed the Starter relay and all is good now. I had another starting issue: Just like the starter relay when you turn the key there is no crank, no click no nothing. This was unusual. I've had starting issues for quite awhile and that issue was the cable wasn't fixed on the battery terminals for a good electrical contact. So by having to get it to regrip the terminal I'd twist it to get better contact. I inadvertently cut the white wire with red line over the years that I had to twist the contacts for a better contact. It took me over 9 months to figure this one out. I decided to clean the positive terminal and saw the wire sitting there worn from my twisting the positive cable over the years. What a sense of accomplishment when it starts up knowing that I actually found the real problem.
I've taken on a paying mowing job cutting about 2 acres with my H3011. Cutting acreage is really hard on any mower. As you're mowing you realize how bumpy large areas of grass really are. My H3011 still had a battery connection issue and it got really bad as I was mowing this 2 acre parcel. I brought tools with me so that I could repair it on the field. The irregular terrain makes the battery bounce and loosen its connection. So now I understand why they have clamps to keep the battery fixed. Even on my 1/2 acre lot it would jostle and loosen the cable to the battery but it wasn't nearly as bad as when I started cutting a yard way larger and bumpier than mine. I'm in the process of buying the clamps to hold my battery still.
I love my H3011 because it is a cool looking riding mower. The configuration allows you to look beyond your feet and stop and pickup dog toys, poop, garden tools left in the yard, hoses and move and get under tree branches. This 1986 - 1988 built Honda riding mower is Tough! It's really really Tough! I do clean it after every use because I hit a lot of mole mounds and clouds of dirt go flying everywhere. Keeping it clean I believe has kept this mower running. Also maybe the most important fact is that Honda continues to supply parts for an almost 30 year old machine.
If you've read this far I have discovered that the best pricing is from boats.net. It takes a little bit to understand how to navigate their site but once you understand you can get by very easily. I've learned a lot dabbling with my riding mower and my Honda HRT216TDA walk behind mower and my Honda HHT35SKAT string trimmer with bicycle handles. I hope I can help here in this forum and also gain in knowledge with every one of my visits. Cheers!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,444 Posts
Welcome

1 - 11 of 11 Posts